Can there be too much bass?

tommyboy

How much is too much bass? I like to shake the walls when I watch a movie, but when I ran the auto setup on my new receiver, it said my sub was up too loud, and made me turn it WAY down! I just turned it back up after the setup ran it's thing. But anyway, is there a such thing as too much bass?

Hey IMO if you like loads of bass, have loads of bass! even if there is some given formula for how much bass you should have compared to the level of the speakers, who cares if you like the way it sounds! dont let your reciever tell you what to do, remember you are human and iz smarteer then its [:P]

bah, spl drag races haven't hit the maximum SPL supported by air (196dB or something like that).

But seriously, can you have too much? Yes.

Can too much sound good? Yes.

Can too much sound bad? yes

However, you can never have a system that goes too low...it might be too loud, but too low is never a problem (unless your source material sucks). [:o]

Too much bass,...YES [:D] You have to use the all important gain on the subwoofer to level the sub with the mains.

Can you have too much headroom...NEVER [:D]

This is why I will be adding subwoofers. [:$] More and more displacement,when you count displacement in cubic ft...you are set.

I feel that solid extension to 16Hz is all that is needed in the real world. The ultimate are the IB subs,extension to below 10hz,and further down you have fan subs,use a rotating fan .These reach near rock bottom.

There is a member on AVS with a fan sub! These are very expensive as they are not mass produced and need proper mounting/space behind the fan to really work well.As they cannot work in small enclosures,an IB type installation is what is needed.

One thing is sure,nobody(NOBODY)can hear any definition where the IB reaches down,simply air pulsating.A funny feeling really.

bah, spl drag races haven't hit the maximum SPL supported by air (196dB or something like that).

But seriously, can you have too much? Yes.

Can too much sound good? Yes.

Can too much sound bad? yes

However, you can never have a system that goes too low...it might be too loud, but too low is never a problem (unless your source material sucks). [:o]

after 193 db I believe, the soundwaves turn into shockwaves aka sonic booms

Also tcsounds wants to do it [;)]

Too much bass?? Hmmm...that's a hard one....

I know in Tennessee on Tim's Ford Lake, the the bass fisherman have been complaining about the stripe, claiming that they are eating too many of the bass! So I can only comment that I guess there can be too many stripe! So, I guess that means that there can be a shortage of bass...

This was...a fishin' question, wasn't it?

Is this a good place to ask if anyone has insight in to the proper tuning of the large Evinrude 2 cycle engines?

[:P] [;)]

Nobody will reach 193dB,even when using the most capable woofers in a tiny space...driven to destruction(throw any design you may have you fail).And anything above 130dB is DUMB. Like all the SPL competitions where they play a 80Hz tone at 160+ dB. I would let these clowns sit in their blast a tonn trash can and force them to listen ...say at just 130dB's ...would be fun to watch them grimace and lose all hearing.

its a matter of personal taste. I prefer to set the sub level so you don't notice it while playing music but miss it if you were to turn it off.

Impressive!

For someone who hears nothing and knows nothing,damn impressive.That is how I set my subs too. [:D]

Arthur, are reasonable and common sense responses allowed on the site, or are they simply frowned upon?

This one comes dangerously close to qualifiying, whatever the prescribed penalty! [Y][:D]

Hey his sig says so. [8-|]

The prescribed penality is ...buying another subwoofer. [:D] And a bit of a twisted sense of humor,the forums are NOT work and sometimes people will not be serious(if it was a must to be serious 100% of the time life would be a major PITA ) .

Woof woof let me sub woof...WOOOF WOOOF da WOOFER WOOOOF

Too much BASS.....................................YES, YES, YES....................Like I had when I buried my Sub in the corner........moving that Sub hurt my back, but it was worth it.............the boomyness is gone......much nicier response out of the corner those who say, use the corner, are off base with that one, if I didn't hear it, I would have never beleived it...............the corner hurt my sub................The EAR was right, that's all I know........Thanks EAR....................

Nobody will reach 193dB,even when using the most capable woofers in a tiny space...driven to destruction(throw any design you may have you fail).And anything above 130dB is DUMB. Like all the SPL competitions where they play a 80Hz tone at 160+ dB. I would let these clowns sit in their blast a tonn trash can and force them to listen ...say at just 130dB's ...would be fun to watch them grimace and lose all hearing.

ummm btw anything over 193 db becomes a shockwave like a sonic boom, so yes 193 db is possible. I think water its something like 260 db because whales can send 210 db underwater routinely. Sound travels faster and louder in heavier medium.

You may find it dumb, but it's extremely interesting from an engineering perspective. There is a lot of cool stuff to be learned. It is NOT meant for listening to music.

What I find dumb is not experimentation,as those who do not experiment may fit in the DUMB category. Inventions and experiments push us ,this is great.

And like trying to get closer to absolute zero,you CANNOT ACHIEVE ABSOLUTE ZERO,but can get oh so very close. Trying to get to maximum SPL under normal atmospheric conditions is fun.

I was refering to the output in a car,theater or dedicated listening room.Once you achieve 120dB across the audible spectrum with very low THD.It is all that is needed.

ummm btw anything over 193 db becomes a shockwave like a sonic boom, so yes 193 db is possible. I think water its something like 260 db because whales can send 210 db underwater routinely. Sound travels faster and louder in heavier medium.

Problem is...will never be used for listening. And we ,not being whales(ok some may be as fat as whales ...besides the fat point)and having to cope with eharing loss...well 120dB sustained is all we may ever use(on very short peaks).