Newbie Question

Capin-Newbie

Hello all.

I am new to the forum and have some newbie questions.

I recently purchased a set of Klipsch KG 4 speakers for $50. So far I am very please with them and I think they sound and look great; however, one thing is confusing me.

The Klipsch website says they are 8 ohm and 95 or 96 dB but on the back of the speaker it says 4 ohm 91 dB... Does anyone know the real spec?

I am driving them with my temp amp (Kenwood KM-208) and so far so good, but the amp has a switch for 8 ohms or more load or 8 ohms or less. I put the switch in 8 or less hoping this would keep me safe until I know for sure.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian

I'm not sure where you looked, but on the KG4 spec sheet this is what it says:

KG 4 Specifications

frequency response

38Hz-20kHz±3dB

power handling

100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)

sensitivity

94dB @ 1watt/1meter

nominal impedance

6 ohms

tweeter

K-74-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic dome compression driver

high frequency horn

90°x40° Exponential Horn

woofer

Two K-8-K 8" (20.32cm) Poly ICG cone active / KD-12 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone passive

enclosure material

Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

enclosure type

Bass reflex via passive radiator

dimensions

24.25" (61.6cm) x 15.75" (40cm) x 10.75" (27.3cm)

weight

40 lbs. (18.2kg)

finishes

Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Finished Black

built from

built until

Changes in ohm rating and other specs were common within the same model.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/kg-4.aspx

Welcome to the forum!!

Great deal on the KG4's, they usually sell for a lot more than that.

Here's a link to the Klipsch info on the original KG4:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/kg-4.aspx

It shows a different number than you quote; are yours a set of 4.2 or 4.5?

I'm listening to my 1986 KG4's right now, Hell Freezes Over, and though I know there are better sounding systems out there, I'm very happy for what I have invested. Always looking to upgrade, but have decent tunes when I get a chance to listen.

Oh yeah... you should be safe with either setting, but can't really recommend one till I know for sure what you have!

Thanks, I guess that is the same info I found, I just miss quoted it.

So do I go by the specs online or do I go by what is on the speaker? Can I check them with a multi meter?

Sorry for al the rookie qustions, just getting started in the collecting and listening hobby.

I have the plain KG-4s. I thought $50 was a good deal on them. Very glad to have picked them up.

Thanks

Brian

"The Klipsch website says they are 8 ohm and 95 or 96 dB but on the back of the speaker it says 4 ohm 91 dB... Does anyone know the real spec? "

People in marketing are allowed to change specs by a factor of 10:1 or 1:10 to make the product look better (it's part of their job description).

If you hook a meter on the speaker terminals, it will measure 4 ohms DC resistance. It only measures this low at a couple of spots, so they felt justified on the newer versions to advertise them as 6 ohms. Newer spec sheets claim higher sensitivity , in part based on 3~4dB of 'room gain'.

If you amp has a low impedance setting, that's what I would use.

Yup, DJK hit it right on the head. Congrats on your Klipsch purchase- that is a very good deal, they are usually around $200. Use the lower impedence switch on your receiver and have a blast!

Experiment with room placement. In the corners, keep them with a couple inches free space on either side of the cabinet. Or near a wall, but 8-12 inches out. Just a bit of movement will fine-tune the bass response.

I recommend covering the Passive Radiator in the back with a 'waffle grille', the kind you get at musician/PA stores for woofers. It'll protect from cats claws and small pokey fingers.

Michael