Just a bit of fun at the expense of a Nordost presentation.

maxg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting- I liked the gent's views on music and the purpose of their extravagent systems. I think a bit too much emphasis on money and turntables (note no speaker discussion at all).

But someone show that guy with the red vinyl how to properly use a Zerostat please!

And what was that symphony piece played at the end? I loved watching the fellows listening to the music- very cool film!

Michael

And what was that symphony piece played at the end?

The last classical piece was the Elgar Cello Concerto, a very melancholy work. It was probably Jacqueline Du Pre's recording which was perfectly chosen as the musical and emotional backdrop to the intense movie, "Hilary and Jackie," about Du Pre's tragic life. The movie was based on the book "A Genius in the Family," whose title was later changed to "Hilary and Jackie" in the States.

Max, I'd like to see a discography for that film, which was extremely well done in my opinion. I'd at least like to know what the string quartet was, or whatever it was, preceding the Elgar.

Larry

Greetings Christos,

Incredible setup you have there sir. I apologize if my comment was brusque. Thank you for the message delivered in the video and for all the members who participated. Your passion for your music and systems is appreciated here on the Klipsch Forum. Please join in when you can. As I always say: 'Welcome to the Madness'. Although my American system pales compared to yours, the photo at left displays my passion for the sound of Klipsch speakers.

I have the original Discwasher Zerostat (the white one) and I believe the directions read thusly:

SLOWLY squeeze the trigger with the gun aimed at the LP from about 1/3 meter- then slowly release the trigger. A couple of times is sufficient.

If you do this within few CM of the palm of your hand, you will actually 'feel' the breeze of the negative ions escaping the gun upon trigger release. It is those ions that reverse any static charge on the LP surface, making subsequent cleaning much more effective. (ok, maybe not the most scientific explanation- someone correct me now please)

There should be very little of the scraping or clicking sound as shown

on the video- that merely wears out the piezo crystal prematurely.

Just to confirm, here are the instructions from Zerostat, from the website:

Hold the Zerostat within 12" (30.5 cm) of the surface or object to be

treated. Squeeze the trigger slowly for about two seconds, to emit a stream

of positive ionized air over the surface of the object. As the trigger is

slowly released, a negative show of air ions is produced resulting in static

neutralization. Repeat this procedure at several points across the surface

of the object.

The Zerostat needs no batteries or electrical supply and unlike other

antistatic products, the Zerostat contains no radioactive components

whatsoever.

Respectfully,

Michael Colter

Well, sure enough, tho' the listing isn't perfect. It was the Du Pre performance of the Elgar.

Damn you're good Larry! The man knows his stuff.

I really enjoy that piece, must find a copy of it. Melancholy you say, that describes my daily mood- no wonder I connected! [:|]

Well this thread has come on a pace since I last looked. Yes - it was the Du Pre / Elgar - and I think it came from the listening session at my house (although I would expect they used the MP3 in the making of the film rather than the recording of the vinyl playing at my house).

I would say it was definitively my favorite Cello piece - but then there is the Dvorak Cello and all resolve disappears....[:^)]

Still a great piece though- and Du Pre's was the performance of the century on it.

BTW - Michael - great explanation on the zerostat - I had no idea....

Thank you Michael,

No problem at all, in fact I am glad I have caused an interesting discussion.

Now just for the info for the members of this forum, I want to explain how this documentary initiated.

Ken Barnes, a film maker, living in London (Canadian origin) send us a proposal, a part of which I am quoting:

DOCUMENTARY FILM PROPOSAL<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

FOR

THE AUDIOPHILE CLUB OF ATHENS

TITLE:

I propose two possible titles for this film (or one title in two parts).

Either

'The Audiophile Club of Athens'

OR

'The Search for the Holy Grail of Audio'

OR

a combination of both.

PURPOSE OF FILM:

This film is a project first and foremost intended as the main component of my MA Screen Documentary programme at Goldsmiths College, University of London. The success of this film will determine, to a very large part, the grade of my coursework.

CONTENT OF FILM:

My initial reason for making this film comes from my own interest in music, the special quality and feeling of well-reproduced music and the world of the audiophile. On a more universal level, I hope that this film will convey the passion of its characters as they strive for the elusive 'perfect' system and what that means to them. Sometimes passion cannot be realized without compromise or sacrifice. If this film can somehow inspire the audience to find their own passion, I feel it will have succeeded in its goal.

(Without knowing more details about specific characters and potential events or narrative elements, I cannot give much more information about content at present. Please understand this.)

VISUAL CONTENT:

I love cinematography as much as great music and will attempt to portray the audio systems of your group as artistically as possible. I think this will be a big part of the film, so I am especially hoping to find amazingly designed components and speakers and try to compose and light them in beautiful ways. If some members have especially beautiful rooms for their systems, that would also contribute to the look of the film. I know that room design is itself a major, though sometimes neglected, component of hi fidelity. How members compromise acoustics with comfort, beauty and wife/partner approval (or not!) should be another interesting element of the film. In addition, the romantic and historical backdrop of Greece itself will surely add to the visual appeal and texture of the film.

London, March 3, 2006

Ken Barnes

As you can understand, he didn't want to advertise the Club but to show the extra-ordinary face of our hobby. I am sure he could show some more of the software and not that much of hardware and money and things like that.

I don't know if he succeeded 100% but IMHO it is not bad, not bad at all.

I will put the links again (we have uploaded in a second server) for members that are lazy to go to the first page...

- http://aca.gr/stream/aca_documentary.htm or @

- http://homepage.mac.com/savagebean/iMovieTheater11.html

Thanks for your favorite reactions.

'lil bump for our friends from Athens.

I'm sure many of us would be interested in how you operate your club. Many of us pay visits to other Klipsch Forum members but I'd say only a few are members of bona fide clubs.

You gentlemen might be interested in reading about our Klipsch Pilgrimages to Hope, Arkansas, the birthplace of Klipsch speakers and current factory or the trip we're planning this year to headquarters in Indianapolis Indiana.

Michael

Anyone wanting to form an audio club in their own city/region might look to the Audio Club of Athens as a model- check out their site- very organized with excellent photos of member's systems, tech articles, a forum, monthly meetings for listening sessions, music reviews, etc. I took some time last night to browse the site, it's very cool! Max, you've got a great thing going there!

Michael

Michael,

If you had not just found an opening at Klipsch I think I would be offering you a position in ACA's PR department - if we had one.

[:D]

I will post a new thread on the video to maximize the chances of anyone who wants to seeing it....