What center speaker for legacy Forte's?

Blu Azure

I have a set of 1988 Forte 1s as my front speakers and have been using a KV-2 center with them for the last 10 years...and want to upgrade it finally.

Anyone have any opinons on matching Klipsch's Synergy/Reference centers to older Klipsch speakers? Is it even worth trying, or should I just pickup a C-3 and be done with it? Recommendations...?

-Bryan

My recommendation would be to look diligently for a Klipsch Academy center to come up on audiogon or ebay; neither the Synergy or the Reference are acceptable matches sonically with the Forte.

I went through an RC3 (Reference) and KLF-C7 (Legend) before I scored my Academy; the RC3 was a terrible match, the C7 was similar (and sounded terrific in its own right), but was still far enough away from the Forte's pedigree to not allow for a seamless match across the soundstage... sounds that used both the center and one of the mains were "off", as well as sounds that panned across the front soundstage.

Had I been unable to find an Academy, I would almost see myself going for a pair of KLF30's to go with the C7, but patience won out in the end; the Academy is a near-seamless match.

Best of luck!

Have used both an Academy and Forte as a center between Forte's.....

The Academy is rich and dynamic, though lacking bottom end. A Forte is the absolute best solution, and really fills the bottom end (surprising what I was missing)....I split a pair with another Klipsch lover.....

Interestingly, I have the Forte center between two Corns right now, and to be honest, it's NOT seamless, but very, very close....not at all annoying as some combinations I have heard.

Chris