Anyone ever used KLFC7s as surrounds?

Capa

I have KLF30s for my FL and FR, I really do not have a good way to install the ksp-s6s...if I wanted to use direct radiating surrounds, I thought about using 2 C7s. Is there any problem with standing them up vertically? Are there any other direct radiating speakers that I could use?

I definitely don't have room for 20s or 30s in the back...I want to make a klf20 into a center, then find 2 c7s I think.

Is there an issue with horns and how they are oriented? If I want to make stands for the 7x, and stand them up vertically, will that affect the dispersion of sound?

Capa,

I use 3 KLF-C7's for the surrounds in my 6.1 setup. Here's why...

I started with 5 KLF-30's that I purchased from a forum member. Sounded great! The only problem was that using the large speakers as surrounds limited my options to position them. Since I wanted to go 6.1 anyway, I purchased 3 C7's and did some direct A/B surround comparisions with the 30's. The results for my room (15x26) were a little surprising to me. I could not hear any difference between the 30's and the C7's when used as surrounds. Just a note...I recalibrated between tests to keep things equal. I'm sure there are guys on this forum that can explain the acoustic reasons why the testing came out the way it did better than me, but I assume it is primarily due to the fact a lesser amount of info is sent to the surrounds by the movie. The room acoustics were probably also a factor.

Bang for the buck...after I decided I would be happy either way, the deciding factor was cost. I could own all 3 C7's for the price of 2 KLF-30's. For me, it was a no-brainer...[;)]

Anyway...all three of mine are sitting vertical. I tested both ways on this as well. I perceived a slightly better sound field in the vertical position. I don't think it will make much difference though. Choose the orientation that fits your space and sounds best to you. In the end that is all that matters...[:)]

I also did the HornEd mod to my KLF-30 Center channel. Works great.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Be glad to help another Legend guy on the path to nirvana...[:D]

when i was using klf20's for front's i used 3 klf-c7's, one center and 2 surrounds. worked out really well.the c7's laid flat.

in another thread a long time ago it was mentioned that if you want to mount them vertically you have to rotate the horn. i was going to do this, but you have to build a new "motor" board to attach the horn to. since the speakers were new i didn't want to take them apart and knock the existing motor out.

i ended up using brackets, chains and a wooden shelf that hung from the ceiling and bolted to the wall.

danny

wow...almost on demand...2 separate auctions on Ebay with black c7s, and an auction with a pair of KLF20s, a c7, and an old M&K V-3b sub popped up.

I could buy a single c7, then the package auction, then resell the sub, and make 2 KLF20 center channels, and sell one of them, and probably pay for a good chunk of what they cost me in the first place.