How I saved $650 buying a Klipsch Sub12 or.......

Tom Adams

How Klipsch helped me to get in shape.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This past weekend, I bought a Klipsch Sub12 from Best Buy but unfortunately that $437 sale price ended the day before I went to BB and the price was back up to $509. ARRRGGGGHHH. Anyhow, I was able to sweet talk a manager into giving me a discount on a unit that had some damage to the box, so I paid pretty close to the old sale price.

After leaving BB, I went to my local for real Klipsch dealer to listen to a pair of B&W 602 S3s that my salesman friend recommended. Man what a contrast. You could hardly move in BB and the noise level hardly allowed you to think. At the audio store it was serenely quite with me being the only customer. We hook up the B&Ws to a Denon ???? and I sit back and listen to them for almost an hour playing everything from rock to jazz to bluegrass. I was very impressed with the smoothness of the 602s and how much definition they had. Imaging was excellent and the upper end was crisp with no harshness. I was also impressed with the pleasing mid & upper mid bass. Naturally, they lacked any serious bottom end being a bookshelf, but I was already committed to using a sub, so that wasnt a real concern. Overall, I really liked the sound of the 602 in fact, I liked it better than its floor standing cousin. In the end, I said I needed to think about it some and left.

Back at home, I set up the Sub12 in the den system. It took some time & tweaking to get it matched to the RSX5s, but once I got it, all I can say is WOW! Ive heard folks talk about how the Sub12 is a sleeper of a sub, but I had no idea it would be that good. After listening to several different music sources/recordings, I was just floored at how well it handled everything and just how much output it was capable of. In fact, my curiosity got the best of me, so I hauled it upstairs to the all Heritage HT room and swapped out the KSW15. Oh my.the Sub12 kicked the sh!t out of the old KSW15. Now what do I do?? Haul this sub up & down the stairs depending on what system I want to listening to?? Guess thats one way to get in shape. LOL

Anyhow.although the B&W 602s out class the RSX5s, the addition of the Sub12 to the RSXs make a very pleasant sounding 2 channel system. And while Id love to have the 602s, Im not sure they so outshine the RSXs to warrant spending almost $650. So.my Sub12 saved me $650.

Tom

I am a huge B & W fan. The 600 series is an awsome "sleeper" themselves.

Klipsch and B & W have two very different sounds...Love my Klipsch for heavy metal, or loud movies. I would love to have a 2 channel with B & W 802's for the mid clarity and extension. Downside to B & W....they need Lots O Juice!!!

And in case anyone is curious......here's my setup:

- Denon AVR3300 set to stereo, mains set to small, subwoofer out set to sub only

- Sub12 crossover set to around 100Hz (Denon has no bass management - it's OLD) and the sub level is just under the 4 o'clock position 'cause anymore and they stomp all over the RSX's!!

IOW's the Sub12 is just idling.

Tom