iFi Remote Woes

takodani

I purchased my iFi in Jan. 06. I had to return it the following day (the remote did not work, and the base unit would not enter the program mode).

I brought home a second unit which had an intermittently reliable remote. The remote became steadily worse until the volume down button no longer worked.
On Sept. 11 2006, after speaking with Klipsch Tech. support, I was told a new remote would be coming my way. I received my new remote today, Nov. 28, 2006.
This remote does not work. I have tried synching, installing a new battery, cycling power to the base unit. No luck. I have owned this unit for ten months now, and haven't had reliable remote operation yet! Any suggestions? AARRGGHHH

This remote does not work. I have tried synching...

What procedure did you use to sync? Every remote works with every dock until you sync a remote. Then only that remote will work with that dock. Out of the box there is no need to sync the remote. The only reason you would need to sync a remote is if another iFi system is interfering with yours. You can sync up to 6 remotes to a single dock.

If your first remote got synched to your dock, then you need to sync your new remote too. The correct way to sync a remote is to put the unit in standby and hold the play button for 10 seconds. The early user manuals state another method.

Also, the dock tracks the transmit frequency of the remote, it does this because the oscillator frequency changes slightly as the battery runs down; the battery lasts much longer when there is no crystal oscillator, and we use the micro's internal oscillator. To help the dock track the remote frequency try this: hold down the volume up button for several seconds, then the volume down button for several seconds. Do this a few times and the dock has a better chance to lock onto the remote frequency. I still have my original battary, and it has been working for well over a year now (but the remote is used infrequently).

• 1 month later...

Andy

My system worked flawless for 9 months and the remote stopped working. I went to radio shack and they checked the battery and said it's good. I unplugged the system removed the IPOD plugged the unit back in and put the unit in standy...... held the play pause for at least 10-30 sec.

The remotes dead or the dock is cooked.... I hope it's the remote from what I see in some discussions on this site.

Any suggestions? I did send an email to customer support.

Thanks Tzoid

Ok

I tried that and no luck... Hopefully someone from Klipsch customer service gets back to me on Tuesday after

MLK Day. I'm guessing they may be closed for that day.

any other suggestion would be appreciated. I bought the unit at BJ's wholesale club and they no longer sell it.

Thanks

Tzoid

When I spoke to Customer service about my IF System with a remote that stopped working they sent a replacement.... no questions asked.

They Also told me that the product has been End Of Life... Discontinued.

It evidently exceeded the market in MSRP. and they never really sold enough to justify continuing the product. Too bad because it blows away anything else on the market.

T

• Moderators

Amy, since you seem to represent Klipsch, I thought you might be able to give me some insight regarding the iFi. 1)Is this still a product manufactured by Klipsch? 2) Can I purchase a replacement remote unit for my system from Klipsch?

Hello,

Yes, this is a discontinued product. If the remote isn't working or defective and you're within the warranty guidelines, we can send you one at no charge. We do have them available for sale well, but I'm not sure off-hand how much. Please call customer service at 888-554-5665--they'll be happy to help!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

hi, just got myself an ifi today. was real lucky to find since they are really hard to come by since they've been discontinued. btw, it still lists in current models in the ipod section of the website though.

unfortunately, although the system works well enough, the remote does not work. was rather disheratened until i read through this thread. will be getting in touch with customer care.
i do hope its simply the remote and not the dock.

my manual states that synching requires pressing the sub/vom and mute/standby buttons simultaneosly for 5 sec. couldnt even get it to enter the so called program mode. then did as told in the above post, set to standby and press play button for 10secs, also failed.

regards,
asmd.

the battery probably just died. They forgot to put the plastic piece inbetween the battery and remote at the factory so they were dead batteries.

thanks heaps Jay481985. i picked up a new batt from radio shack and it works ok now. all fixed. appreciate the help mate.

fyi - for those who need to know, the vol and power on/off work fine. i dont use an ipod so cant tell with the skip buttons. i use my htpc or creative zen instead.

regards,
asmd.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Please help, my Klipsch iFi remote doesn't work anymore. I tried to press on the play button on the remote for 10 sec, and I have also tried to press Mute/STBY button for 10 sec and it didn't work.

Any ideas how to sync it?

My Klispch iFI is SouthEast Asia version. Thanks

1. Unless you have a neighbor with an iFi there is no reason or need to "synch" the remote.

2. Replace the battery

3. If it still doesn't work alternately hold the volume up/volume down buttons until the dock starts to track the remote.