Picked up the Scott 299D

tom b. 57

Well, I took a drive today and experienced the Scott 299D. Everything seems to work and it sounded pretty darn good over some old JBL's. I got it for $200.00 and am waiting till tomorrow to incorporate it into my system. I am going to pull the bottom plate off and take pictures of the whole thing and email the pics. to Craig for his opinion and advice. Thank you guys for encouraging me to check it out. I think I will enjoy this, being a new experience and all. While I was out I happened across an HK T60 turntable for $30.00. It is in excellent condition except for the belt. I have ordered a new belt for it online at the price of $23.00 including shipping. If that is all I end up putting out for this turntable, I believe I have just made a fantastic buy. We will see. It is a beautiful turntable. I was not aware that Harmon Kardon built turntables until last night. I went online and checked out reviews and was impressed with what I read. Thats what prompted me to check it out. I am excited and can't wait to get both of these new purchases up and running.

Tom

Yes Ben, this is my first tube amp. When I was young, I remember my family having a large tube powered radio that got shortwave signals among many others. I believe you could pick up signals from all over the country with it, possibly other countries. It has been quite some time since then. I am 49 now, and when we had the radio, I think I was no more than 10.

Tom

No problem. I've missed more obvious things I'm sure.

Tom- you must not be German or Italian. My wife's Italian grandparents have a gorgeous Stromberg-Carlson floor model. The government came out and gutted the SW during WWII.

"Tom- you must not be German or Italian. My wife's Italian grandparents have a gorgeous Stromberg-Carlson floor model. The government came out and gutted the SW during WWII."

As a matter of fact, my grandparents on my father's side came from Germany. It was some time before 1916. I know this because my father was born in Bawtle South Dakota in 1916. I don't know much about my lineage, but I do know that much. My father served in the army during WWII. He spent time in England and was wounded in France. I have no idea where the short wave radio came from and do not remember the make of it . I remember that it was a huge floor standing model that had all kinds of pushbuttons and 4 or 5 knobs.

Well, we are right on the border so maybe they were alittle more gung ho around here. Sure is a nice piece - would be nice to restore and use. I think the Stromberg thing was the "Acoustic Labyrinth" loading. It's been sitting in their house al this time. I told him not to turn it on - I'd get it looked over for him if he wants to hear it.