Forte damaged rear membrane

Helmut

If you mean the big, 12" cone on the back, this is a "passive resonator" - basically a non-powered speaker cone. How big is the hole? If you're talking a small hole (like someone punched a pencil through it or something) you can unscrew the driver, take it out (nothing is connected to it on the inside, no wires or such), patch it with a small blob of epoxy or silicon sealent, and put it back in the cabinet. If you are talking about a large hole that you can't easily patch, Klipsch should have replacement parts available - call Klipsch. Most of the numbers they list for customer service are toll-free numbers that probably won't work from outside the country - you might have to start with their corporate headquarters at 317-860-8100 (USA) and ask for the number for parts or service.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I agree with Ray.

It is a passive radiator or drone. Meaning it is not driven by a voice coil. Its mass and the spring of the surround form a mechanical resonance, sort of like a ported bass reflex design.

My understanding is that the radiator must be air tight to allow some compression of the air in the box. Therefore a tear or hole is not good.

In the distant past I repaired a paper cone with some Elmers carpenter's glue and fabric. It probably makes little difference what glue is used.

I'm quite sure Klipsch can sell you a new unit which can be replaced with the aid of a screwdriver.

On the other hand, you might try patching it in the mean time. Patching both sides of the diaphragm would be a good idea if it is in a location you can get at.

In theory, the glue and fabric will increase the mass slightly. It may be such a small change you will not notice it.

Gil

I can now add an observation first hand.

This is because I'm today the very happy owner of a pair of Forte II.

When I pressed in the passive radiator in the back, the woofer moved forward. This shows that the box and drivers are air tight.

Therefore, if you patch the hole, you could make this check for integrity.

Gil

Yup, on Sunday I took Amtrak's Hiawatha Service to Milwaukee. Bill S. and his brother in law helped me wheel them to the baggage counter. Amtrak charged me $20 to handle them as overweight luggage.

When I got to Union Station Chicago the was a problem that they didn't get taken off the train until I made several inquiries. They almost got a free ride back to Milwaukee.

Using a luggage cart I wheeled them 5 blocks to the office. 150 lbs total but the path was level or downhill all the way.

They sound magnificent!

Gil