Harman Kardon Citation 12

tk49

Long time daily reader, rarely contribute. I just picked up a HK Citation 12, looking for opinions on preamp match. First thought is the JM Merlin, I know the Blueberry would be nice but budget won't allow. For now I'm using the preamp side of an old Marantz 2270, speakers are Forte II's. Craig do you have tweeks for the HK C 12?

t

Hey tk49,

Post more often; it's fun!

There's one of these amps up on eBay at the moment, and the seller comments on preamps he's tried:

Regarding other pre-amps I've used with this power amp. Audio Research SP9; not a good match

Dynaco PAT-4, PAT-5 They both are good matches. Audio Research SP14; A very good choice.

The Citation 17/ Citation 12 combination just has a certain rightness to its sound. It's like having a good

turntable thats dead on speed. With all the faults of an AR XA turntable, it has a certain rightness to its

sound.

I have no opinion, just passing along someone else's experience.

Thanks Craig, I knew you were the go to guy, I'll give the link a look. Any recommendations on tube preamps, thought I read that tubes up front made for a good combo w/ss.

t

With knowing very little about the Citation I would not feel comfortable making any absolute recommendations on what tube preamp will mate the best with that amplifier. I will say the gamble would be small if you gave the Merlin others have mentioned a whirl if it has the features you desire and is within your price range. One great feature of all Juicy Music preamps are the implementation of per channel level controls and main volume controls that seem to have little or no drawbacks when dialed in a various levels to match the amplifier sensitivity specification. This makes the preamps very versatile in respects to system mating.

Craig