Adding multi-channel amp ???????

Frak601

I have a follow up question to the issue of using an amp........I am going to use a Marantz SR7001 (110W X 7) AV receiver to power my speakers that I am going to buy. ( It's looking like I am going to go for the RF-63's, RC-64, RS-62 surrounds, RT-10d Sub).............after reading and posting about amps,it looks like adding a seperate amp is the way to go to get the most out of your speakers....this will be my first set of Klipsch speakers! I am considering an Outlaw 7125 (7 channel X125w amp).........I am not familiar with amps or this brand, but it looks like a fair price from what I have seen. Will this effectively make my system a 235w per channel system, and if so, since this is more watts than the speakers are rated for, does that just mean I need to be careful not to turn up receiver too far, and will the added power mean a lot better sound, even if I am not using all of it..............I will mostly use this system for movies,sports.....but I do like to listen to music as well, from classical to hard rock. Thanks for the opinions and sorry for the long post!

Outlaw makes fine products, I have their processor & larger amp myself. If you use your Marantz and an outboard amp such as the Outlaw, the Marantz will function as a processor & the internal power supply will not be active. So 235 watts no, but that separate amp is designed for one function only, amplifing a signal, resulting in higher quality sound in most cases. The all in one box has to share it's power supply to perform other tasks.

Having more power (headroom) is better than underpowering. You want enough power to avoid clipping if you step on it.

So, using the marantz receiver and hooking the amp to the speakers through the pre outs on the receiver is not a good idea??? Can you please explain a bit more in detail, as I am new and not very knowledgeable in this area! thanks

A dedicated processor is generally prefered with the use of an amp & when it becomes dated you only have to replace/upgrade one unit. A quality amp will last for yrs. If you already have the Marantz you can use it until you are ready for a dedicated processor.