Dayton DIY 10"

dakayus

I don't have any experience with the Sub-10, but I do have two of the kit-built Dayton 10's. In my opinion they are one of the best values in sub-land. I don't know how you could beat it for $288. Sixty-plus pounds, 250W and solid build of both box and driver. They ain't pretty but they get the job done.

I think you could exceed that performance with the Assasin 12" from Ascendant Audio:
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/assassin12specs.html

Coupled with an amp from Rhythmik Audio:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm

3.5 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 20Hz will not only outpeform the Sub-10, it'll even outperform the Sub-12. [;)] If you wanna go slightly smaller, then you can go with the 10" Assasin in a 2 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 20Hz. You'll want to spend the extra $5 in either case and have a custom peaking high pass filter implemented into the design. Expect output in excess of 118dB or 115dB with the 12" and 10" respectively.

Where are you located?

I don't know of any companies that sell subwoofer cabinets this large, but I suppose you might be able to find one if you searched hard enough. The only thing I can find are dinky car subwoofer cabinets. If you have a jig-saw, it would be trivial to build a sonotube enclosure. Paint the endcaps black and cover the tube in black carpet and you'll have a decent looking result. I've got some extra sonotube pieces from a workshop I just ran where we built 16 of these subs...if you're nearby you could have one of them. I bet I could even find some left over endcaps as well. But ya, a jig-saw is all you need...might be a good excuse for buying a new tool [;)]

Well if the building part isn't going to be the "fun" part, then I would recommend purchasing a sub off the shelf [;)]

You mentioned the sub-12 in your last post and the sub-10 in your first post. I would rank the subs mentioned in this order:

1) Sub-12
2) Dayton 10"
3) Sub-10

Oh gosh, I forgot the Dayton Kits aren't ported... [:$] Definetly switch that with the sub-10.

For what it's worth, the sub-10 is maybe a mediocre sub for how much you're spending. The sub-12 on the other hand is leaps and bounds better - I consider it the best bang for the buck on the market. So if you can swing the funds - perhaps save for a bit longer, then I would highly recommend stepping it up a notch.