HK 730 auction heads up

fastlane

Not my auction, but I wanted to give a fellow forum member the opportunity to try one of these great receivers. I love mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-730-Twin-Powered-Stereo-Receiver_W0QQitemZ170059516717QQihZ007QQcategoryZ67799QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks a bit cosmetically challenged, but seller claims it plays fine.

A good deal indeed! I've acquired two of these over the last two months both in excellent condition and boy do they have some ooomph. They make a pair of Heresys sing. Don't overlook the 930 listed in the similar items part of the listing as well. Some one may get a good deal on it too.

Does anyone have a manual for the 730? photocopy maybe?

Unit showed up this afternoon VERY well double boxed and appears exactly as described. Can't test functions till I get it close to speakers, but sure is a heavy sucker!

I wonder how many ebay folks have been a member for over three years before making their initial purchase? Joined 10/3/03, first purchase/feedback 12/21/06.

Between the holidays, inlaws, outlaws, travel and the flu running through the house with family here, I hadn't found a chance to get the new unit close to speaker wires until tonight, with less than stellar results. [:(]

I have no sound out of the right channel. If you crank the balance to that side fully and hit the volume knob up to maybe 9-10 oclock you hear a little crosstalk or whatever the proper term is, but nothing like a signal you'd listen to.

With balance set to middle, there can be proper sound heard out of the left channel, but it comes/goes/disappears when you move the volume or press the high or low cut buttons, or most any of the several buttons on the left side of the unit. It also may start working with some percussive maintenance to the left side of the case.

No, I haven't done any of the steps in the cleaning thread yet, nor have I checked any fuses, seemed to be only one fuse and two breaker resets on the back panel, the pushbutton breakers didn't have an effect when pushed, and I would assume since one channel works somewhat, the single fuse must be ok. I WILL check it later though. I printed off the manual for it, but it's at work. Wish me luck as I try and resurrect this unit.

I will say, when the one channel would work, it had a totally different sound than my Yamaha pre and Perreaux power amp set up. Couldn't get it to work consistantly enough to form any opinion, but could tell it wasn't the same, and I think in a good way. The mid bass seemed more airy, the lower registers appeared to be more suspended across the soundstage and the highs were liquid, unveiled, nearly transparent in their inflection... blah blah blah...[+o(][+o(][+o(]

OK, It was different. I did hear a difference in the bass response, not good or bad yet, but it seemed positive for the couple minutes it worked. Time will tell. Assuming it comes back to life. If anyone has any good starting places on a dead channel I'm all ears. I should tell you, all my good tools are at work, and the schedule for the two of us is packed for the week, so I may not get to this for a day or three, or I could dig through some old paint stirrers that used to be screwdrivers here and go at it.