What An Improvement

arfandbark

I purchased a pair of Crown PS 400s sometime back and have never spent the money for a preamp.

I've used several receivers, both new and vintage as preamps or stand alone units over the last couple years.

At a friends insistence, I purchased an Adcom GTP 400 from him a couple months ago. He knew what I was missing and I didn't. And, he made a deal I coundn't refuse...

After dragging my feet for a couple months I broke down and purchased some 1/4" to RCA adapters for the Crown.

VAST improvement over the entire audio spectrum! So much cleaner throughout. Deeper, yet tighter bass, sparkling highs, vocals much improved and I picked up some of that "Thwack!" that Duke speaks of...

It was like taking the blanket away from the front of my Cornwalls.

I've been waddling down the wrong path for quite some time. What a cheap fix.

Did you not get my E-mails? Why don't you answer me? Send me e-mails, then don't answer them, shame on you...........................it's like when I went to optical connections, what a cleaner sound.............that can't be, wires make no difference...........must be thinking about something else.....

Frequency response of my stereo.

Crown PS 400: +/- 0.1dB from DC to 20 kHz @ 1 watt into 8 0hms.

ADCOM GTP-400: +/-0.5db from10Hz to -100kHz.

Nakamichi CDC 200: +/- 0.5 dB from 2Hz to 20,000Hz.

Harmonic Distortion.

Crown PS 400: Less than than 0.001% from 20Hz- 400Hz and increasing linearly to 0.05% @ 20kHz @330 watts into 16 ohms.

ADCOM GTP-400: Less than 0.009%

Nakamichi CDC 200: 0.0045% or less.

I know the numbers mean nothing unless there is synergy between the units. I think they play well together.