TV Stand Build Plans Needed!!!

aviserated

I really don't have any plans. I just go on-line and find a stand that I like and just try to reverse engineer it. Once I have it figured out, I just use MDF and wood to build it. Since I don't have a table saw at home I get the hardware store to make big cuts and I can make the more detailed cuts with my skill, miter, and jig saws at home. There are a few pics of some speaker stands and an audio rack I made.

http://community.webshots.com/user/cajones25_HT

I really don't have any plans. I just go on-line and find a stand that I like and just try to reverse engineer it. Once I have it figured out, I just use MDF and wood to build it. Since I don't have a table saw at home I get the hardware store to make big cuts and I can make the more detailed cuts with my skill, miter, and jig saws at home. There are a few pics of some speaker stands and an audio rack I made.

http://community.webshots.com/user/cajones25_HT

I was thinking about building a cabinet using 3/4" oak veneered plywood and using custom oak kitchen cabinet facing. Lowe's also sells 48" x 12" x 1" thick oak stairway steps I may use for the top of cabinet. What type of black paint did you use for the shelving?

I was thinking about building a cabinet using 3/4" oak veneered plywood and using custom oak kitchen cabinet facing. Lowe's also sells 48" x 12" x 1" thick oak stairway steps I may use for the top of cabinet. What type of black paint did you use for the shelving?

I used Rustoleum Semi-gloss. This was in the can, not a spray paint. You will need at least 2 coats if you don't prime first.

Can you guys give me some good ideas on building an attractive TV stand? Everything I see in the stores that I like is too expensive ($599.99 plus)). I need one that measures about 48"W x 20"H x 20"D

HAVE I GOT A DEAL FOR YOU!!!

If you don't mind the drive to mid Missouri. I have a custom built television stand that is exactly 48" wide and 24" tall. Its 32" deep. Holds my 36" Sony XBR perfectly. I had the same problem you are having. So I contracted with a local cabinet maker. Its 3/4 solid red oak, and red oak verneer plywood construction, stained to the exact color of my Oiled Oak Chorus I's. There are two equipment bays measuring 14"X22 covered with smoked glass and a unique way of locking the doors to keep small fingers out. There are also two drawers on the bottom that were sized to hold DVD cases and the drawers pull all the way out so you can get to the back of the cabinet.

I love everything about it, except that when the cabinet builder made it, I wanted the thing 32"tall and 24" deep. He got the measurements backwards. I have a little more gear than this thing will hold. My wife said that I cannot get another one made until this one's gone.

$450.00 and its yours. Bring a truck

• 1 month later...

I finally finished my TV stand project. The stand was built from Oak and stained with Minwax Cherry stain and semi gloss polyurathane. Everything was purchased from Home Depot

I know my Walnut Forte 2 speakers do not match the Cherry stained Oak but they sound awsome matched with my 2 channel B&K Pre/ Main amp combo. Black Fortes will look lots better.

post-15918-13819321941002_thumb.jpg

Looks good, did you use the black paint mentioned above? I really like the hidden hinges, nice touch.

James

I used brushed on Rust-Oleum, Painters Touch, Multi-Purpose Latex Paint. Semi Gloss Black #1974. This paint went on perfect with just one coat, no priming before hand.

Here's a link for the type of hinge I used. Home Depot does not sell these at their store:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewProducts.asp?Cat=702

The 1" cabinet top and upper and lower cabinet face was cut from three 1" Oak stairway steps which come in size 12" x 48".

Everything else is 3/4" thick Oak hardwood, Oak veneered plywood, and MDF board.

Back is 1/4" plywood.