Heritage speaker choice for 8' X 14' sun room (with a large opening to the living room)

altec210

Michael,

I've been lucky enough to have owned CW 1's, 2's, and 3's. Because I already parted with my other pairs, I wasn't able to A/B the 3's versus the other two. But, to my unscientific ears, the 3's sounded the best of the three, with my ears enjoying my CW 1's (77 or 78's) over my CW 2's. I was able to A/B the 1's and 2's for a couple years and there was a smoothness about the 1's that I couldn't put my finger on. But, I think you'd be happy with any vintage. Cornwalls sound fantastic and are the best bang for the buck in the used dept, IMO. They pop up locally from time to time in the $600-$700 range and you'll never lose on them. In fact, check Craigslist. I can't get there here at work, but I want to say there's a pair in Minnapolis, Eau Claire, or LaCrosse listed. I might have my heritage line mixed up, but I thought they were Cornwalls.

In the end though, I'm a LaScala guy I guess. My listening tastes vary quite a bit, anthing from Cash, Otis, Sam Cooke, The Byrds (have Sweetheart of the Rodeo on right now!), Zeppelin, Springsteen, Tupac, Outkast, Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams/Caitlin Cary, and the list goes on. Although the Cornwalls dig deeper in the bass dept, the enormous soundstage of the LaScala always won me over with 90% of what I listen to. And I settled the bass problem by picking up a pair of Klipsch Ultras, which provide a ridiculous amount of clean bass.

There was a pair of Forte's for sale here in MKE last weekend. Boomac spoke of having some for sale and I wonder if he maybe scored the ones in New Berlin. The couple had a pair of Forte's, an Acadamy, and some surrounds for $850. I probably should've jumped on them because I could've sold everything other than the Forte's and had them for free. Ahh, there'll be more deals.

Jeff