Audio Research insite welcome

xterra

Uh, what exactly were you looking for?

They're expensive, sound fantastic, are reliable, exhibit classic push-pull pentode sound characteristics, will drive your Forte's superbly, look cool, run hot, suck great big gobbing huge kilowatts of power from your wall when pushing them hard and carry a high resale value.

http://www.audioresearch.com/

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I'm looking to enter the tube world. There's a AR VT60 on Ebay that could probably be had for about $1000. I'm curious about issues like coloration, warmth, all of the things that Paul Klipsch said should not be a part of the musical experience...you know, manufactured sound from the system, rather than true reproduction.

I want a system that sounds as true as possible with the Forte's. Paul Klipsch autographed them, so they are the only things that are a mainstay.

Kent

I have a old SP3a preamp that I bring into Audio Research every few years to upgrade caps, new volume control, they even had a new rack mount faceplate- this for a preamp that was built in the '70's! It is very nice sounding, although I am sure far from hi- end today. I noticed on Audio Research's web page they have a new upgrade for the SP3 series- very tempting! I have always wondered why there is such love for McIntosh gear and very little for Audio Research, I think they are both top notch brands. You can't go wrong with Audio Research.

------------------

Just who is Dylan's Jokerman anyways?

Personally, I have never thought the Audio Research gear that musical as far as tube amps go. The tend to side much more on the clinical side of reproduction and sound more SS to me. Their sound, on the whole, leans more toward the whiter, bleached out, side of the sonic spectrum. Many of their amps rely on the 6550 tube which is a rather coarse and grainy tube with a midrange that lacks a lot of soul. Their preamps have always struck me as too bright...almost without fail. As I said elsewhere, I thought the SP-8 preamp was not that bad...still, I find Audio Research the least musical tube amps made, especially given the price.

kh

------------------

s y s t e m

Linn LP-12/Linn Basic Plus/Sumiko Blue Point

Rega Planet

Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Creek OBH-12 Passive Preamp

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

DIYCable Wire - Various

1977 Klipsch Cornwall I

Alternate Components:

EICO HF-81 - btw, perfect Cornwall match

ASUSA A-4 EL-34 UL

ProAc Mini-Towers

EICO HFT-90 Tube FM Tuner

Sumo Aurora Tuner

Nakamichi CR-7af>s>

mobile homeless-I find your comments about Audio Research interesting. Some of the same verbage you use is exactly what some friends of mine say about the Klipsch sound. I always make the argument that what they are saying ( or hearing ) is that the speakers are just plain accurate. Just an observation- not in anyway a flame. PS- Do you like the Rega Planet? I have it on the top of my list when my player dies.

------------------

Clint, I agree with you. I constantly read audiophiles speaking of their searches for a particular sound, as subjective as one's hearing is, it seems like people with "colored" speakers spend thousands of dollars trying to achieve sound that I believe I get with my Klipsch Forte II's and a cheapo Denon receiver.

Last night, I was listening to Doug Cassens and Kirk Whalum on Doug's Christmas cd, and I could not imagine any sound system sounding any better than my "appauling" set-up.

Why, because it sounded exactly like Doug the many times that I've heard him play in person. Can true musical instrument reproduction really be "improved" upon?

Why don't these boards spend more time talking about room acoustics and sound recordings? Aren't those the biggest factors?

"Why don't these boards spend more time talking about room acoustics and sound recordings? Aren't those the biggest factors?" Yes both are very important! I would much rather have marginal speakers in a acoustically "correct" room than great speakers in a acoustically marginal room

------------------

I have long held the belief that the most cost effective way to upgrade one's system is to spend about $60.00 on a spl meter and a test CD and dial in your speaker's placement in the room. IMHO the differences that result will swamp any differences in amps, wires cables, etc. And many people would be shocked, I think, when they hear how much better their system sounds, when it's in room response is smoothed out. If you want "sweeter" highs, tighter bass etc., move the darn speakers! If you've dialed in your speakers, and are overall happy but want to tweak, buy some CD's. Again, the differences in the recording from one CD to another will, IMHO, swamp any differences in amps and cables. I find it much more fun to listen to the sound of different recordings than to different cables etc.

But thats me. YMMVcwm20.gif

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Youre friends may be very right in their description of the normal Klipsch sound based on many of the modern products. Ditto with the vintage gear with certain types of music and the wrong amplification. I will stand by my assessment of Audio Research as I have heard their products time and time again, and always felt they resided in the slightly whiter shade of production. This has nothing to do with being accurate as much as with their designs and heavy use of the 6550 tube. I have heard enough tube amps of different varieties to access whether it is because their pieces are "more true to the signal" or just not as musical as other gear. Granted, some Audio Research is much better than others...but I still find them some of the least musically involving tube amps made on the whole.

As for the listening room , as I said elsewhere, it is INDEED one of the most important factors but many people find themselves in sub standard situations when they are almost fighting a losing battle from the onset. Obviously, room treatment can go a long way in rectifying these problems, and you are right, it doenst get mentioned here as much as it should. At least horns have less wall interaction problems than many normal dynamic speakers where it is very benificial to move the speakers away from the front and side walls to aid the imaging.

As for the Rega Planet, I actually prefer the older 18 bit model to the new 2000. And I have heard many sub-1k 24bit players that do not hold a candle to the Rega in the ability to actually reproduce music as a whole. Sometimes it does not always pay to upgrade. It is a VERY musical player and about the exact opposit of the Audio Research gear. It does indeed deserve all the praise but I feel is plagued by an inordinate beak-in time that is almost as long as any equipment I have owned. Also is very affected by the plug polarity as well as the type of feet you use. One other thing I have noticed, I believe there is some sample to sample variation in sound. I have had several first generation Rega's in my system and they have not always sounded the same.

BTW, I think those that are smitten with Audio Research gear owe it to themselves to audition some other brands to see the difference here. You might be surprised.

kh