Using Car Amp?

Foost

I have an Alpine V12 amp sitting at home as well as a 10" kicker solo baric in a box. Just for fun I would like to use them in my room. I know it will probably sound awful, but i hate to see them just sitting there. What do I need? What will the difference be in power quality/amount? The amp is 45x4 + 100x1 rms. I can't remember the required power level or what fuse is in it (i'm currently two states away at school). I'm assuming i need a power converter. Any help or suggestions out there?

Foost -

That should work fine if the amp has line level (RCA) type inputs. I am not sure how teh sub will sound in an open room but I would think that as long as the room is not too big you should be ok. The problem is going to be finding a 120VAC to 12VDC converter that can supply the current that you need. When I did this I hooked up a car battery to an AC battery charger and used the battery to supply the the amp. Not pretty but it worked.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

That 10" speaker will sound bloody awful if it is not installed in a suitable enclosure. As for the car amp most of those things are designed to create as much racket as possible and sonic excellence be damned. The few that are designed with sound quality in mind will be designed for the acoustics of the average automobile and not the average living room or dormitory.

Forget it - It wouldn't be worth the cost of the hookup wire.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)