Cornwall/Forte Mating

spacelord2002

....which is what I am seriously thinking about buiding. After "revisiting" my L & R Forte's last night (having put Cornwalls in their place for a while), I was again elated to hear the sweetness of the Forte mid and tweeter, BUT, with a lack of bass.

SO - next speaker project - pull together the Forte mid/tweet with the Cornwall bass bin and see what happens. Why not?

Chris

I was thinking along these lines....so let me know your thoughts:

Use the Cornwall's as flankers and toe in 30 degrees (separated 15-20 ft apart, and 18" from wall) and hang the Forte's horizontal (1 foot from ceiling, 6" from wall). I would think the height would be phenomenal depending on you acoustical environment. Anything to improve imaging (testing, etc. as suggested earlier)

Never tried them on top of Corns, could be a possibility. A definite possibility is 20" from the wall. I get the best bass when they are near corners and the passive woofer is about 12" from the wall. Oddly enough, that is what Klipsch recommended too.

Interested in the source of that info- is that from owners manual or Forum advice?

I followed a formula given here on the forum and got a dimension of 3-5" from rear corner of cabinet to wall when Forte's were at 45 degree angle in the corner. I think that works out the same as about 12" to the corner, measured on axis with the speakers.

For best stereo imaging- ONE pair of speakers will always be best. Competing drivers can lead to comb filtering, phase problems, and blurring of the soundstage.

Michael, I think it was from the owner's manual. It will take some time to confirm that. I measure the woofer (passive) from the wall to the nearest edge when taking into consideration toe in. This measurement is after I hear the best in my situation. I move the speakers around, find the best spot, then measure. Usually it comes to about 12" this way.