Altec A-7 cabinets free in IL

cscmc1

Gents -- email doesn't seem to be coming through. Please shoot me a note at cmcougill at eiu (dot) edu and I'll get back with you. A word of warning -- someone blocked the vent (port, whatever you want to call it) in order to use the opening to mount the 511 horns and drivers inside. The wood panels used to block them off need to be removed. Still, not a bad price to pay for free cabs.

BTW, if anyone has a pair of 500 hz crossovers I could use for experimentation with my new setup, I'd be grateful! I can return them in time, of course (or buy them if the price is right).

Chris

Chris, I sent you another email and PM. I can't help with the crossovers - I'm either going to build from Marquardt's plans on Altec Heritage site or talk with Dean - but I do have some paduck, lacewing, bubinga, mahogany and other African hardwoods I'll bring up so you can see in person what might match your project to your room.

Email replied, Dave.

I also have a big, apparently home-made corner cabinet (slightly larger than a K-hon bass bin) that I need to make disappear. Dave, you have dibs as you'll be in the area anyway, but if you don't want it, I can make it available to anyone who can collect it soon. I am going to pull the old Jensen 15" driver from it to sell and recoup a few $ from, but the cabinet is just a big black mosntrosity that I hate to turn into firewood, but is of little/no use to me. I have a few pics of it, but don't know if I can figure out how to post them.

"4560's, 'n maybe EV's ..??"

Yep, 4560s (JBL version of the A7), and EV TL5050s. Both worthless for modern PA.

The 4560/A7 box is huge, and has no real bass, why carry it around? It makes more sense to bandsaw off everything except the horn part and use it as a dedicated midrange box (as shown here), and use above subs.

http://www.speakerplans.com/photos/773.jpg

The EVs are also a case of NRB (see above), hence the jump-into-the-fire with the 4560s. The cabinet that replaced the 4560s, a dedicated midrange box based on an EVM 12L, at one time I had 26 of these.

http://www.gravitymusicgear.com/pictures/mids_062404.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael -- these are the same ones! Haven't heard back from Dave in a while and these are taking up space on the porch. Shoot me an email at cmcougill at eiu dot edu and I'll send you a pic. I am in Charleston, IL -- we had talked about some LaScalas that I had this past year if you'll recall! Hope you can use these.

Tks,

Chris