I think my sub is sunk!

Ron30022

I have a Klipsch KSW-12 that I have had for 5 or 6 years. Today, it stopped working and I found that it had blew the fuse. When I jumped the fuse and plugged it back in I get a low hum of some sort. Two questions, #1. Is there any hope and what could be wrong? #2. Is it worth fixing?, if not, what sub should I replace it with?

Well if nothing else changed in the signal path and you have a hum now after bypassing the fuse, then chances are you've blown the amp. Have you tried playing any music through it? I'm not sure if I would be comfortable bypassing the fuse though - something caused it to blow and it could possibly start a fire if you shorted it out again (this time you'll be sending the full wall voltage through the short).

I'm with theEar on this one and would use this opportunity as an excuse to upgrade. Depending on the number of caps that blew, you're looking at a good $50 in parts - and that's assuming that you correct the problem in the process and that the driver isn't damaged either. I could easily see the repair approaching $200. If you've been happy with the KSW-12 all this time, then you should be extremely impressed with the new Sub-12.

Sorry to hear about your sub, but welcome to the forum!

Thank you both. I beleive you are talking about the Synergy Sub-12 Subwoofer from Klipsch. If that is the case, and at $450, I am sold and will use this as an excuse. The price is right and performance looks to be all I need for my setup. However, if I were to want to upgrade from that point, what would be the bext sub up? You know, just in case santa brings some extra cash my way.

Happy Holidays!

lol [Y]

To be honest, I think the Sub-12 is one of the best bargains on the market right now. Maybe I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'm always impressed with how good that sub sounds for how little it costs. I don't have much experience with the $500 to $1000 range of subs (the next tier) because it often shifts towards other speaker brands and I'm a diehard Klipsch fanatic [;)] Now if you came across quite a bit of cash, then I think you would be very satisfied with the RT-12d or the THX Ultra2 subwoofer package.

What are you running for mains?

I have Boston's. At the time I was told not a bad speaker for the money. For the most part I have been pretty happy, but I am certain that I could do better (comments and suggestions are always welcome). My system is getting older now so it will not be too much longer before I will need to upgrade the entire package. For now, if it's not broke, don't buy a new one! I think I am going with the Sub-12. I am certain it is all I need. Thanks for the feed back.

The jump in price from the Synergy sub to the Reference sub is substantial. You may want to look at some of SVS's offerings.

OK Now I am really confused. I think I need to take my time and do this right. I have looked at the SVS, SB12-Plus and the PB12-Plus, and both very attractive. The price is not too far off of the Klipsch, but I am on a Klipsch forum. Anything less than a grand is in my price range. Any additional thoughts? My room is 21x16 if that helps. Thanks

SVS, Outlaw, and other brands make awesome subs. I have a buddy who bought a 8" sub Outlaw sub. I was pretty inpressed considering it's only an 8 incher. I am true to klipsch however. In that price range, you may be able to get a RW15. I know for a fact you can get a RW12. I have the RW10, and I love it. My room in only 15 by 12 though. Good luck.

The jump in price from the Synergy sub to the Reference sub is substantial. You may want to look at some of SVS's offerings.

OK Now I am really confused. I think I need to take my time and do this right. I have looked at the SVS, SB12-Plus and the PB12-Plus, and both very attractive. The price is not too far off of the Klipsch, but I am on a Klipsch forum. Anything less than a grand is in my price range. Any additional thoughts? My room is 21x16 if that helps. Thanks

Taking your time and doing it right is excellent advice. Do your homework. Read, research and shop. Remember that it isn't as critical to match your sub to your mains as it is to matching your speakers to each other. You'll probably have your sub for a while, it's a big investment. Take your time.