$1000.00 Amp. for Klipschorns

Wrench722

If you only had a clue, maybe in another 20 years. I hope you had fun insulting all the members here who like 50 year old technology, and insulting all the great audio pioneers who didn't have computerized analysis tools or the Internet to get their info from. I never claimed to be better than anyone, just that I do have a lot of experience and since you did not expereince audio of the 60's, or 70's or 80's and a good part of the 90's I really don't think you have much to stand on.

Have a nice day Mike, I hope you continue to enjoy trying to baffle the people here with bullshit

Jackpod,

A piece of advise...... many have traveled the road your now on. All have been lost in the endless round-abouts. Take the path with the quickest striaght path to you destination. Now if I could only learn to take this advise myself [:)]

Craig

Craig, I hear ya... I kinda remember back when i thought it was necessary to prove myself to the world. I am past that point (long time ago), no need for me to piss on the wall, I have already made my mark (many times over) how's the old saying go... Young, Dumb and well you know the rest...

Some of the hardest but best learned lessons in my youth were from some old farts slapping me down. The kid appears to have the potential to go a long way, he just has to learn how to get there.

Subject closed...[;)]

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOSValves I thank I am going to wait and do some more looking. The biggest problem that I am haveing is I just don't know what I am looking for? Like what name brands what wattage? I know I would like a 2 chennel amp that I can hook my CD player and tuner to and would like to have a remote. I have been looking at the MC-2100. What do you think? [*-)]

The MC2100 is just an amp, well not just an amp, a very fine amp, however to use multiple sources you should have a preamp. it does have volume controls but individual vol controls is cumbersome and only one set of inputs. I have a MC2100 along with several other mac amps I really like them. Definately more than enough for a pair of Khorns. They are clean and have autoformers

Jack

But the MC2100 is a solid-state power amp

Not that we need to get into THAT debate, but there are obviously a LOT MORE options in a 1/2 decent $1000 amplifier if you intend to throw SS into the mix. (Dussun V6i immediately comes to mind- great Klipsch SS amp IMO)

But thought you were strictly looking at integrated tube options.

BTW> Another new $1000 integrated tube amp that we heard (and really liked the SQ) during our recent quest, that is available as a "kit" was called an "ELLA" from diy-hifi (Hong Kong)

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_ella.htm

It has 4 inputs, can use EL34s, KT66 or KT88 tubes AND has a remote control and looked to be pretty good quality (except for the "chicken wire" tube cage which was horrid IMO)

It sounded great on a beautiful pair of newer model Martin Logans when we were shopping,(but I still prefered the Cayin) but didnt get the opportunity hear it on any Klipsch Heritage models (but I wish I could have). Anyone know of this amp??

WopOnTour

Did you actually read the article?

I read the article and was surprised that you linked to it, because it says repeatedly that a great deal can be done with EQ and that different approaches are a source of considerable debate among experts.

Can you imagine that the article says other things too? Go figure.

WOT, Yes the MC2100 is solid state, I have several of the Mac SS amps and also Mac tubes, I would like to say one thing, the Mac SS that have autoformers fall into their own category. I also have a Mac SS without autoformers, the autoformers place the amp "in the middle" for lack of a better term. Not quite "tubey" but not "SS" either. I am extremely happy with my autoformer Macs. I currently have my Khorns w/Belle center and Heresy rears all Mac SS. In the next week or so I will be doing an experiment tri-amping my Khorns. Mac SS on the bottom, Mac tubes for the mids and either Mac SS or modified ST70 for the highs, should prove to be interesting. But then I will also be trying a pair of 511b's for the mids as well. Lots of playing to do in the upcoming weeks.

Yea, no doubt the MC2100 is a great piece of iron. (I've always loved the "Heavy Metal" looks of the McIntosh amps) I've heard only one 2100 though- owned by an aquaitance that uses it to influence an ancient pair of Bose 901s.They sounded fine (in a "house party" situation at least- didnt hear them otherwise) IIRC there's definately no lack of horsepower under the hood, that place was shakin' But I didnt know about the autoformer business. How does that influence the sound? Does it make them more compliant to varying loads on Heritage?

WOT

PS> I just bought a pair of 511Bs on eBay myself (although I havnt received them yet) and plan to do a little playing too.

Do you know of a source for an adapter for the "thread in" K-55-V??

your ps first... Yes Parts Express, part # 264-322 Selenium ADF25-25 Horn Lens Adapter $6.50 ea

I should have mine next tuesday, I just got my horns today

I am not exactly sure what the technical aspects are with the autoformers. Where other SS amps just have + and - speaker terminals, the autoformer'd Macs have impedance taps like a tube amp (4,8,16), and they are strappable (able to run as a mono amp at twice the power) An MC2100 is 105wpc at all impedance taps, whereas a non autoformer'd mac the rated power fluctuates with impedance. I personally own 8 of the autoformer'd guys (5 mc50's (50 watt monoblocks) an mc250, an MC2100 and an MC7300, a MC6100 (non autoformer integrated) an an MC240 Tube

I highly recommend the Mac SS as a viable alternative to tubes (autoformer'd that is)

Jack

BTW> Another new $1000 integrated tube amp that we heard (and really liked the SQ) during our recent quest, that is available as a "kit" was called an "ELLA" from diy-hifi (Hong Kong)

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_ella.htm

It has 4 inputs, can use EL34s, KT66 or KT88 tubes AND has a remote control and looked to be pretty good quality (except for the "chicken wire" tube cage which was horrid IMO)

It sounded great on a beautiful pair of newer model Martin Logans when we were shopping,(but I still prefered the Cayin) but didnt get the opportunity hear it on any Klipsch Heritage models (but I wish I could have). Anyone know of this amp??

WopOnTour

Yes. I have the OEM factory assembled version of that amp which is the Consonance Opera. 40 watts per channel with EL34's and 50 watts per channel with 6550's and KT88's. Great amp. Sounds wonderful with KHorns. Mine has been upgraded a bit with Hovlands however.

Mine could be available for the right person since I am running out of room. Maybe. I love the performance and looks of it.

your ps first... Yes Parts Express, part # 264-322 Selenium ADF25-25 Horn Lens Adapter $6.50 ea

Great! Thanks! was actually SHOCKED to win the auction for this pair of 511Bs for only $99 as I was the opening bidder for inital asking. Good to get a deal once in a while.Hopefully they are in as good of shape as they appear to be. (he sent me a better pic of the pair after dusting them off a bit- lol)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190064774933

BUT

Those adapters look like they are constructed of plastic , is that correct? If so are there any other sources? (preferably CNC'd aluminum??)

Regards

WOT

I thank I have come to a decision. McIntosh MA-6900 It is a little more then what I was going to spend. I have seen them going for around $2500.00 to $3000.00. Is that a good price? But I thank it would be a good start even if it takes a little longer to get there. It will also work as a preamp for separates later on.[8-|]

Open for input?

In my mind by far the best solution is a class T amplifier as among others Leo and I are making them. They are very stable and easy to use which is not the case with valve amplifiers (which I also love and build), and they are on a very high level. Other amplifiers might be different, but none better.

Room threatment is important too, but it is really the electronics which make you loose you appetite for music as the brain can not correct for the more nasty kinds of distortion found in amplifiers opposite to room resonances.

All these thing you can play with when you get more experience, but you are completely correct when saying that for now it is the electronics and program source which count. Be sure that the horns are tight in the corners.

Søren