Questions from a new mc240 owner

dp1954

Hey all.

I've always used receivers or integrateds, but now have decided to take the separates approach. Trouble is I don't know squat about how to set them up. I've been using eicos and scotts until recently when I purchased my first piece of mac equipment.. a mac1900. Really liked the sound. I've also purchased a pair of mc30's with a c-11 preamp that are still in their packing ready to sent to Terry in Tn. I'm having them rebuilt before I use them.

Now comes in the mc240. I picked this one up as a user/not as a collector. Same with the 30-'s. The 240 had been disassembled and the previous owner had the chassis replatted. the unit was then sent to Terry Dewick in Tn who reassembled/rebuilt the unit. the problem is that the lettering is totally gone from the chassis and I can't tell which controls are which. The tube sockets are marked, but the knobs aren't. Can anyone tell me what they are? I also want to use the mac1900 reciever as the pre to the 240 using its preamp out. How do I do this?

thanks for any info. I really appreciate it guys.

Dave

First off, I'd simply say, contact Terry as he IS "the man". My guess is, if you called his "office" and he's around, he'll answer. His office is in his home in case you didn't know that. If he's taking the day off, he simply won't answer it. If he's piddling about, he will (might), so you lose nothing by trying.

(his office/home is about 5 miles from my work)

Dave,

I owned a 240 and still have the manual. Send me your address to keithmcg@nc.rr.com and I'll send it to you.

In the meantime, there should be 5 RCA jacks on the right side in back of the amp. Starting from left, the first two on the left are for stereo input L/R (and the ones the you want to use), the 2nd pair is L/R for twin input, the last one is for mono. The switch to the left of these is for line voltage. Left is 117V and Right is 125V.

The four knobs above these jacks are for balance, gain L for twin input, gain R for twin input, gain for mono.

The 3-selector switch is Left - Stereo, Middle -Twin, Right - Mono

The barrier termionals are obviously for the speaker hookup. From top to bottom: 16 ohm, 8 ohm, 4 ohm, common.

The 240 was way ahead of its time for tube amp specs, but the pair of 30s will be your ticket for sure.

Hope this helps/Keith