DVD Player with SACD & DVD Audio?

texxas guy

I bought a used Denon 2900 for $350 to replace my crapped out Panasonic RP91, and I found the Panny's picture to be much better, but do prefer the audio from the 2900. I only listen to the analog outputs from the 2900. I use 5 of them for my HT rig, and the extra pair of L-R mains to my tube rig for redbook CD's and 2-ch SACD.

One day I'll opt for the upgrade on this player (Underwood or SACDmods.com) and get the dedicated PS, as I hear that makes a huge difference. For $350, however, it's a heck of a Universal player.

Mike

We tested all this over the weekend. Oppo 971h vs. Denon 2900. Then tested via the digital using our Harman Kardon AVR-435. Analog sound betw. Oppo/Denon found no big difference on blind a/b, in fact, I picked the Oppo twice over the Denon. Basically a wash, but both going through digital going to the AVR - the AVR had the better sound. So for DVD's, we'd listen through the AVR for better sound, which left DVD-A being dependent on the DVD players. Given the Oppo has the better picture by nice chunk - we're keeping the Oppo as of yesterday. We have a Jolida JD-100 modded tube cdp for cd's.

Mike - I heard about the upgrades for the Denon and considered adding the Blackgate? caps, but IDK what improvement that will give as I didn't read up on it much. Or what the cost of the caps are for a DIY. I guess it all boils down to the DAC one is working with - right? One thing about the Oppo, if we keep it, we'll have to make the feet a bit sticky cuz if you push the eject button with any semblance of strength, the unit goes flying. :) Denon won't budge.

I need to do some testing with the DACs in the 2900 versus the ones in my Denon 4800 receiver. When I had the Panny I much preferred the Panny DACs to the receiver's, so I always monitored the External Inputs (Analog inputs) on the receiver whether I was watching movies or concerts in DTS or DD 5.1. Of course with DVD-A you have to use the External Inputs since the receiver isn't outfitted to convert that signal. For redbook playback I use the BBX, which doesn't have a digital input.

Mike