Receivers

Exoticar

this is just madness, now i'm confused on whether i should stick with the paradigm mini-monitors or go for the Monitor Audio Bronze 2's. Just called a local dealer (tabangi) and the price for a pair of bronze 2's, a center and denon 1802 would be about $2000 CAD. So the price matches up with the mini-monitor, cc-370, marantz 5200 combination. Another issue that conerns me is that infernal x200 popping, video noise, etc issue that marantz hasn't cleared yet. I haven't heard any such issues with denon x802 units. PLus the extra bass that i would supposedly (based on reviews) get with the bronze 2's would really be handy because i'm holding out for an SVS sub. One more thing, i'm cramped for space and the front firing port of the bronze 2's is another plus.

any thoughts, suggestions guys?

------------------

Education is an admirable thing. But it is well

to remember from time to time that nothing that

is worth knowing can be taught.

OW

This message has been edited by Vatican3 on 12-11-2001 at 02:47 PM

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Vatican,

Don't let the Pro Media's take you away from the Klipsch product line. Find yourself a pair Of Chorus, Chorus II's or Forte II's on eBay, AudiogoN, Audio Shopper, Audio Review, etc. and never look back. You should be able to find a pair for $400 - $600 and I guarantee they will blow the doors off of anything else you may find for over a grand. I locally found my Chorus I's and Chorus II's and they are both in mint condition. I paid $1100 for both pair combined and I like them much better than the RF-7's. Don't give up on us yet...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 12-11-2001 at 03:08 PM

Wow, this thread is on its 2nd page already!

Thanks for the info, UP!

Monitor Audio Bronze 2's....How much do those cost? Considering they're British, I don't think they're gonna be as good of a deal as the Paradigm's. I do like the front ports though, because I don't have lots of space to put rear ported speakers either. Is there a difference between the gold dome tweeter on the Monitor and the titanium dome tweeter on the Paradigm? I guess I'll ask my dad this weekend to see what his opinion on all this is.

What's the price difference between the Marantz 5200 and the Denon 1802?

Thejson,

Any word on your Marantz receiver yet?

After reading about DIY Cat5e speaker cables in one of Justin's posts, I've decided to make myself a smaller pair of these (http://www.geocities.com/venhaus1/diycatfivecables.html) cables since my dad's system still uses spring clips on the amp. I threw a crude one together today with some garbage cat5 cable I had laying around and it actually sounded better than the 16(not sure) gauge stuff that my dad's system is currently running on. I even asked my mom to do one of those blind tests just to make sure I wasn't imagining things and she said it sounded clearer...COOL!

the maranrz 6200 allegedly $899 CAD and the 5200 is &719 at whitby audio. Chris from HTF quoted me on that, i haven't called whitby audio yet so i can't confirm.

Denon 1802 that i saw on the flyer is $899 at tabangi. THey had a package for two pairs of monitor bronze 1, sub, bronze center, and denon 1602 for $2000. I called them and asked what price i'd get if i got rid of the sub, upgraded the 1602 to an 1802 and upgrade the brone 1 to the bronze 2's. The guy who i was speaking to, Matt, quoted me $2000 for that setup.

From i i've read in the other forums, clearance of rear ported speakers is important. If it's too close then the speakers will sound boomy. Considering that the walls where i am going to mount the surrounds and the fronts are only 11 feet apart, it seems like front ported speakers are the only option.

My stats exam didn't go too well so my enthusiasm for building this HT system has gone down. If i bombed it bad, i might put off this whole HT purchase. Hopefully i did ok.

------------------

Education is an admirable thing. But it is well

to remember from time to time that nothing that

is worth knowing can be taught.

OW

Thanks, Thejson!

Vatican,

That's mighty expensive for the Denon 1802. The shop at Pacific Mall that Underhanded Penguin told me about quoted me $780 tax included...thats about $350 less than at tabangi. I wonder how much the Marantz 5200 would be elsewhere?

Anyway, my dad doesn't really like "inexpensive" British speakers because a good chunk of what you're paying for them are import costs etc. so the actual speaker isn't worth much. I think he wants to stick with the Paradigm mini mons or some other American speaker. I guess I could always just plug the rear ports with something. Also, I'm gonna be holding off buying for a couple months (maybe March/April?) because my dad wants to move things around in this house and possibly make more space for stuff.

btw, I bought a magazine called "The Absolute Sound" and they did a short review on the Paradigm Monitor 5's. The freq. response graph looked sorta like a sine wave as opposed to a flat line but the reviewer says he liked it.