4.1's Dead Problem Found (US VERSION)

ounvme

I recently discovered my 4.1's dead. I loved this system so I decided I needed to fix it. I have 2 of the systems. I compared the power lines running through. On the dead system I have 180vDC comming into the 640014 power supply but nothing coming out. The fuse was blown and also one of the IRF740 fets. I ordered 2 new fets and for the hell of it I checked my 47k r26 resistor. That also had a nice crack hiding on the bottom. I am going to replace these parts and report back......any tips from the veterans? On the other power supply board the large resistor shows signs of getting very hot. Any way to keep these cooler?

~Wayne

Just to confirm that these parts are correct and will work.......R26 47k R12 680

I measured my working unit and R26 was 48k and R12 was 658 both of which are 5% from 47k and 680

This is my order from digikey. I sure hope these will work. I know 3 watt is large but hey atleast it wont burn out as fast.

Index

Quantity

Part Number

Description

Unit Price
USD

Extended Price
USD

IRF740IR-ND

MOSFET N-CH 400V 10A TO-220AB

$6.74

BC47KW-3JCT-ND

RES 47K OHM METAL FILM 3W 5%

$2.71

PPC680W-3JCT-ND

RES 680 OHM METAL FILM 3W 5%

$2.09

Subtotal

$11.54

Well the parts are installed and the unit is alive again. I'm pretty happy. Im alittle concerned about proper voltages going through the power supply the measured values of my resistors are 46.5k and 671 ohms the measurements of the ones in my good systerm were 48k and 651 ohms.....Should I be worried about this?

• 2 weeks later...

My r12 resistor is bad, it is burnt. I need to know if your 680 ohm resistor has worked, or if it has failed. I don't want to buy that resistor and than have my system blowup. You said that your good system had a 658 and 651 ohm reading. Was that in circuit or out of circuit, and do you have the color code for the R12 resistor?

• 3 weeks later...

My 4.1 also went down (no power, no light ), after dropping 2 feet. The input to the 640014 power supply is 160 VDC, the input to the 610036 board (they might call this the Bash board?), is 56 VDC, is this correct? The output off of the 640014 at the very bottom of the board next to the 2 blue caps has +60 etched in white. If you have the amp out you can measure the input to the 610036 easily. The output of the 610036 is 2 VDC. this makes it look like the 610036 board is bad. Any suggestions, or measurements would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

My 4.1 also went down (no power, no light ), after dropping 2 feet. The input to the 640014 power supply is 160 VDC, the input to the 610036 board (they might call this the Bash board?), is 56 VDC, is this correct? The output off of the 640014 at the very bottom of the board next to the 2 blue caps has +60 etched in white. If you have the amp out you can measure the input to the 610036 easily. The output of the 610036 is 2 VDC. this makes it look like the 610036 board is bad. Any suggestions, or measurements would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well, here's my experience, if it helps. My PS was completely dead. After replacing several fried components, I get 56V in and out of the 610036 board. However, I still get no sound.

If I understand correctly, the idea of the BASH board is to continually adjust the voltage so at any instant it's only a couple volts greater than what the power amps need. If so then your 2V with no signal sounds more correct than my 56V, but who knows? Personally, I've about had it with this thing. I'm a reasonably experienced tech, but without any service information or a working unit to compare it to it's about time to give up.

no power, no light

Sorry, didn't notice this before. I'm also noticing that you have a 4.1 and I have a v.2-400. Hopefully they're close enough that the following applies: On mine, the voltage that supplies the pre-amp (and thus the LED) comes from one of the 3 voltage regulators on the same board that the speaker jacks are connected to. I don't recall which one. I'll look as soon as I get a chance. The voltage that supplies the regulators comes from the 5wire ribbon cable that connects to the 640014. Again, I can tell you what voltages you should see there when I get a chance to check.

o.k. so first off, I was wrong about getting 56V out of the 640014. I get zero. I was measuring between the - in and the + out for convenience. Turns out the there is a direct conection between the +in and +out. It's the - that's regulated. Guess that explains no sound.

The 5 wire ribbon cable on mine is -32 -32 0 +32 +32

Pin 14 of the 15pin Bash "chip" or "white board" feeds the gates of the two parallel power regulating mosfets on the 610036 rev 5 board. This pin is -56V. -56 on source and -56 on gates = mosfets off = 0v output