Denon 103 advice

Chicago_Pete

Do you have the specs on this tonearm?

Is it on the Tonearm database? http://www.cartridgedb.com/default_arms.asp

If you're looking to buy one I would get it here... good individual to deal with and a good price ($148 shipped)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-Denon-DL-103-MC-cartridge-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ150074297875QQihZ005QQcategoryZ64620QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mike

I have used a DL103 in a modified RB250 and it's a great match. The 103 is a little taller than some other carts, so you might find that the arm is higher at the cart end than the pivot. Slightly above is usually the ideal height, but if it the sound is bass heavy with rolled off hf then you'll need to shim the arm post up a little.

Thanks guys, 

The reason for this post is because I just bought Joe's BBX and it has the cream option so I want to try it / take advantage of it?
I am currently using a Dynavector 10x5 and obviously looking for an improvement, not that its bad.

Mike, does that guy in Germany list the 103's often? That auction has ended.

The best, Pete

I have used a DL103 in a modified RB250 and it's a great match. The 103 is a little taller than some other carts, so you might find that the arm is higher at the cart end than the pivot. Slightly above is usually the ideal height, but if it the sound is bass heavy with rolled off hf then you'll need to shim the arm post up a little.

I actually found that the 103 is considerably shorter than the other carts I have used. I have had to lower the arm as low as I can and use a mat on the TT in order to get the VTA level. I could also use shims under the cartridge.

Here is a link to an intersting solution to the shortness of the 103. You have to scroll to the lower part of the page.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/analogue_bits_e.html

Josh

Having said you have a 10X5, I suggest you think again about the 103. It does have the punchy dynamics of the Dyna but, with its conical stylus it isn't as detailed. Why not trade your 10x5 for a 20XL? Then you would have dynamics and resolution. Whilst I like the 103, I would rather listen to music through a Dynavector cart.

Josh, thanks for correcting me. I clearl remember having to adjust VTA for the 103 and forgot which way (probably confused with a tall Dyna cart). I haven't used my 103 for the last year or so - I had my old Koetsu Black retipped and I alternate between that and a XX-2, so the old 103 doesn't get much of a look in. (It was bought as a back-up whilst the Koetsu was away being refurbed).

d