Smith Horns - what's a good simple mini HF S-H? - vane flare?

freddyi

with todays range of small compression drivers, whats a good way to do a simple and effective Smith tweeter?  does one need (or desire) vanes or not for 4Khz up?  

with regards to regular Smith Distributed Source Horn,  how much useful contouring of response can be done by varying the vanes' profile? (RCA-Fan briefly mentioned this as a design parameter)

Due to the wavelengths involved for tweeter use, the overall path length of the horn is so short that the vanes would literally have no effect, and there is possibly not room enough in the tweeter-specific horn.

The Smith-type horn is used at lower frequencies, although a 2" throat Smith ought to work with a coax (combination midrange and tweeter) driver, although I don't know of anyone testing this.

DM

Freddy----Go over to the Lansing Heritage site, there's a recent thread about a fella making small Smith horns for tweeter use and much discussion.

Over here I doubt there's more than a half-dozen guys even know what a Smith is though if the word gets out several will tape-worm this site to set up businesses selling them.

Martinelli made me a set of 6" long vanes (5 per horn) for a small Tweeter type Smith horn.. I finished them last month..Ive tried several HF drivers on them...Including taking off the baby cheeks off the JBL 2404 & mounting them on the baby Smiths......As some of those on this site know I also use a large Smith horne for mids Approx 31 inches wide......I cross over to the baby smittys at 5k.....Do i like the top end??? Welllllllll not to my satisfaction....Like Dman states they (vanes) might be too large.....I notice on the Westlake moniters there tweeter version leaves out the vanes.

Freddy.....the 10" was too big. I understand that one has a low cut off of 1200 I had another one 8" wide. It too was a bit lackluster.....Getting the vanes thinner & smaller can be a problem for my fat stubby fingers...Westlake just leaves the vans out but i dont know what the polor plots would show.

THe Vintagetechnics is not a true Smith horn, but a hybred design to control vertical diffraction. The Selstad is small enough, But i have not heard it or seen a good polor plot...I under stand a small cast aluminum unit was made.

Hi Maron,

over at Lansing Heritage vanes vs none looked about the same -on one Smith type maybe no vanes better on the response curve  - can't locate tread easiy - its over there.   I might try something crude with a ksn1016 piezo as driver.  

Heres a thread by Steve Schell on the Selsted-Smith 5Khz model
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9871&highlight=Smith+horn

thanks  -- what in general would happen to response if one cut it back as follows?  (hey DJK - so your piezo are complete but no horn - what were they meant to feed?)

how was the 10" DSH figured?  are 5Khz Smith horn (and vaneless variant) practical?

Posted Image

Can't answer that question. What freq. was the crossover to the tweeter on the Westlake monitors? I think they didn't have vanes in them. Don't know if they crossed higher than the 1200Hz of this on or not.

Sure you can cut back the radial top & bottom to the vane septa..The low end cut off would be affected...But the upper band width will stay the same....I made a small 90 degree version 6"' with vanes up to the edge ten years ago...I forgot what the low end cut off was.