Questions on connecting xbox360 to HDTV

erickoegle

Well, my buddy got a psyclone vga cable for christmas was using it on his computer monitor, then decided to move his xbox onto the big screen downstairs. He offered me his new vga cable so I took it. I am now coming into the problem of connecting this to my HDTV. I have a female DVI-D dual link input on my HDTV. Finding an adapter to go from female VGA to male DVI-D is my problem.

181px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png300px-DVI_Connector_Pinout.svg.png

I have a bunch of female VGA to male DVI-I dual links laying around, but I am having a rough time finding a DVI-D even online. Is it possible to just pull out the C1- C4 pins on my adapter to make it work? Something tells me that since VGA is analog if i pull out the C1-C4 pins I wont get any signal.

"The long flat pin on a DVI-I connector is longer than the same pin on a DVI-D connector, so it is not possible to connect a male DVI-I to a female DVI-D by removing the 4 analog pins."

Well that solves my problem... Any ideas?

I am using wikipedia as a reference by the way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI-D

The Digital Signal: "DVI-D"

The digital signal type that runs through a DVI cable is sometimes referred to as DVI-D. This format is completely incompatible with any analog signal format, and therefore cannot be connected to anything that doesn't also handle DVI-D or HDMI. If the socket on your device is a DVI-D socket (that is, if it lacks the four pin sockets for an analog signal which surround the broad flat "ground" pin; see photo at right) then this port will only handle DVI-D signals. It cannot be connected to any analog source, such as component video, composite video, VGA, or the like. It can, however, be connected to an HDMI device by using a DVI/HDMI cable.

So much for calling them. [:P]

that sucks, at least it looks good on my monitor, then when I upgrade my HDTV ill make sure it does have either a VGA connection or DVI-I instead of just a DVI-D connection.

Thanks for the suggestion though.