FS: Altec drivers, horns, JBL tweeters....

sfogg

Need to pay for new horns/drivers.....

(3) Altec 288-8k large format drivers. I believe all 3 are the later style bodies with both 3 and 4 bolt mounting available on them. One of the three has a later rubber magnet cover from Great Plains Audio which is a looser fit then the other two. All in great condition. All 3 have Great Plains Audio 8 ohm aluminum diaphragms in them that are in perfect shape having only seen home use. When I bought them two had very tired worked hardened diaphragms (sold as 'sonically perfect') and one was missing a diaphragm so I replaced all of them. Great Plains was started by a former Altec engineer and uses original Altec tooling to build replacement diaphragms so they are the real deal. $250 each... all three for $650. I posted measurements here comparing the 'sonically perfect' diaphragms against the Great Plains Audio diaphragms if anyone was interested.

(3) Altec 288-8k large format drivers. All need TLC. Missing rubber magnet covers, mounting studs and diaphragm mounting screws (all available from Great Plains), no diaphragms and I think one or two might have broken off diaphragm screws that would need to be extracted. $70 each... all three for $180.

Pair of Altec MR594II horns. These are a 500hz 90x40 large format Mantaray horn from Altec. The Mataray horns are CD horns for even sound over their coverage angle but in turn require EQ to boost the top end of the driver/horn combo. $150 for the pair.

Pair of Altec 511E horns. These are the large format version of the 511B horn. Factory coated with Aquaplas. Both horns need a good cleaning and the Aquaplas has come off a little on one of the horns. For the driver mounting plate on one of the horns a weld has split slightly. These are fairly rare horns. Make offer.

Altec 32B horns. These are the fiberglass version. This is an 800hz Altec small format horn in a fairly compact package. The horn has a 90 degree bend in it so it can fit into cabinets that are not as deep. Used in the VOTT A8 among others. Could be an interesting horn to try in a Cornwall or Heresy type speaker. $80.

Altec 511B green... only one at $60.

I have two 811Bs. They are a mismatched pair, one is green the other was a 'greenie' but somewhere along the way the inside of the horn, exterior of the mouth and the front of the baffle was painted black. $50.

(3) JBL 2404 'baby butt' tweeters. I built simple little wood stands (nothing pretty) to hold them as well so they can sit on top of a LaScala or K'Horn or whatever. Mounting a tweeter next to the squawker doesn't sound as good as doing it vertically, it screws up imaging. $100 each or $250 for all three. (EDIT:Two might be sold....)

All of the above plus shipping. Local pickup is welcome.

I will probably sell my (3) 805B multi-cell horns with single driver throats as well. These are shipable but will be expensive so local pickup strongly prefered. Ditto (3) MR-94 horns which are *very* big horns for large format drivers which pretty much need to be local pickup only.

Thanks,

Shawna

"Pair of Altec 511E horns. These are the large format version of the 511B horn. Factory coated with Aquaplas. Both horns need a good cleaning and the Aquaplas has come off a little on one of the horns. For the driver mounting plate on one of the horns a weld has split slightly. These are fairly rare horns. Make offer. "

Are these 2" versions?

Dean,

Yup, back to two way (well two way with stereo
subs...). I should have two more Peavey's shipping out to me today. I
figured if I kept sampling drivers I would end up driving myself nutty (and spend
way too much money) so since the Peavey sounds good and measured pretty
well I should just go with 'em and be done with it.

Shawn

Looks like a pretty good driver, I agree, might as well stay put. I guess you like the sound of that K-510, pretty good little horn ya think. What do we call it, The Little Horn that Could?

Can't go completely along with your assessment of first order filters and the horizontal arrangement of the drivers in the top hat. As for the driver arrangement, the mids appear to be primarily responsible for floating the sound between the speakers, and I have a very stable phantom center. Even with the tweeters on the outside, I often hear cymbals to the inside of the Klipschorns. It doesn't sound 'phasey' (like a DQ-10), and I can't hear sounds moving between the drivers in the top hat -- something I definitely noticed when I had Al's ESNs in here. Those networks certainly did a better job of separating things out between the speakers, but I though it was at the expense of some dynamics. I really had to jack the volume with those to get the dynamics back into the mix -- basically sounded like a decent cone speaker until I lit them up. Does active filtering help that?

"I guess you like the sound of that K-510, pretty good little horn ya think. What do we call it, The Little Horn that Could?"

Yes, it is a nice horn. Little Horn that Could (LHTC) sounds about right.

"Can't go completely along with your assessment of first order filters and the horizontal arrangement of the drivers in the top hat."

With horizontal drivers and lots of overlap you are lobbing in the horizontal plane and giving yourself a little bit smoother vertical off axis response. If you are trying to cover a wider seating area that is a problem and it keeps the room reflections (with the lobbing in it) on the same plane as you. When you put them vertically you at least get the lobbing above/below the listeners and have better horizontal off axis dispersion.

"It doesn't sound 'phasey' (like a DQ-10), and I can't hear sounds moving between the drivers in the top hat -- something I definitely noticed when I had Al's ESNs in here."

It was different then that though from what I was hearing. When I was switching between two way and three way with the tweeter to the side of the mid. I could hear it sort of pulling the sound to the side slightly... basically the sound sort of lost a little focus. I was hearing that even when crossing over up at 12kHz to the tweeter both with low slope and high slope. Human hearing is much better at localizing a sound on the horizontal plane (ears arranged horizontally) then they are in the vertical plane (ears arranged horizontally). It was subtle but there when swapping back and forth live from the listening position.

Next time you pull your K'Horns apart try moving the tweeter above your squawker horn and see what you think. Or better yet pull the tweeter out of one and put it on top of the other. Wire the tweeters up to a switch that would let you switch between them easily (fantastic if you could do it from your seat) and see what you think. Best part is if you like it it is basically a free upgrade.

"Those networks certainly did a better job of separating things out between the speakers, but I though it was at the expense of some dynamics. I really had to jack the volume with those to get the dynamics back into the mix -- basically sounded like a decent cone speaker until I lit them up. Does active filtering help that?"

When I went active the system was quite a bit different then when I was running the passive ES networks. So I can't really do a back to back comparison there. I will say that I think my system sounds very dynamic at most levels. I think more dynamic then where I had been, but again that had more then just the crossovers changed.

Shawn