It was a weekend of great forum members, Mcintosh amps, K-horns, and Jubilees

Guest " "

I had the opportuinity to take a road trip to the TN area this weekend. It was non-stop all the way down. Just the thought of what was ahead of me, wow, in one weekend, some outstanding forum memebers with common intrests, MC-2102, MC-2000, K-horns, and Jubilee's.

Upon my arrival, I was greeted by C5Vette (Jim). Jim is a geat guy who I spoke with on the phone on numerous occasions as well as exchanged emails with. Formerly from the NYC area. Jim was surprised it took me so long to arrive...by his count...I was 3 hrs overdue......when I arrived and saw Jim pull up, I realized why.....Jim pulls up in brand new corvette.

First stop was Jim's place. Jim has a very nice home in which you are immediatley greeted by a pair of 1977 K-horns with modified AK networks, connected to a Mcintosh MC-2000 tube amp, C-22 pre-amp, and what looked like audio quest cables. Jim played a few tracks on his tube CD player. The sound was very smooth, very detailed, amazing sound stage with the traditional bottom's up sound of the k-horn....with the k-400 horn blowing is musical breath on you. Jim had me seat in various spots to guage the width of the room's sweet spot...basically any seating postion in this large room ws within the sweet spot.

The time seemed breif, but before I left, Jim showed me some very nice Mcintosh gear. A few mono-blocks, a few stereo amps, some for sale......great person to check with if your looking for a Mcintosh tube amp in the short term. I dropped off some upgrade parts (ALK universal xovers, T-350 tweeters, and k-55-m drivers) loaded up an amp, and had to head to the hotel to get ready for my trip back the next day.

Off to the hotel.

6:00 am Saturday morning was wake up call. Got up and decided I could spend a few hours in the area before heading back ( I was worried about car jet lag).

Called Coytee (Richard) to see if he was free, he was, we met in town for breakfast. Good thing, I would have never found his house otherwise. Paved road turned into gravel road, gravel road turned into dirt road, winding and turning all the way.

Upon entering Richard's custom built home, again, I was greeted by one of Klipsch's marvels....a pair of Jubilee's. Richard had the Jubs connected with monster cable to a Mcintosh MC-2102 (a stunning piece of Mcintosh gear), active crossovers, and an additional DBX amp for the LF section.

Richard played a few tunes. Clearly the star of the show was the 2" driver behind the top horn. Excellent detail and one of the widest sound stage I have heard. I walked across the room at various distances from the Jubilees until I found the blind spot of the top section...the point there was no sweet spot...it was really forward in the room behind the line of sight point of the 2" driver in the top horn. I would discribe the performance of the 2" driver as a top down performer, which really shows it colors the higher up you go.

The 2" driver gracefully let the Jubilee bass bin get some attention as well. The Jub bass bin was a very strong player in the mid bass area which made it clear that the goal of a horn loaded bass bin architeicture that could master the mid bass reigion had been reached. Richard cut the sound to the top horn to demo the amount of bandwidht the LF section covered....The LF section was a pretty busy player in this pair.

Well it quickly became time to say our good by's. On the way home I was very greatful for safely making it down to TN from NYC and meeting Richard and Jim, spending some time with them in their homes, sharing our passion for the Klipsch Heritage line, as well as some of the best Mcintosh gear out there.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the time you both set aside.

That sounded like a great trip. Next time if you need a driver aide I am all for it, anything to get to hear more klipsch and meet great forum members.

I am on the hunt now for a Mcintosh C-2200 pre-amp now, so you will never know where the trail might lead.