New to iPod

colterphoto1

Hi gang, I'm an old Mac head, I have a lot of my Cd's loaded on my iMac computer at 192 mbps rate. I recently bought an iGrooveHG for my desk, now I need an iPod.

There are so many models, I think I'd like the large format one, no video, mid sized memory. Right now my iMac has 42GB on it but I don't need nearly that many available on the iPod. I'm guessing just enough to travel to work, swap music files with friends, etc.

I'd like to keep the quality up pretty high. I know that any MP3 compression is bad. Some CD's I burned at AIFF file type which is much larger, but still some loss, is this correct?

What I'd like is help deciding which compression rate to use and which iPod is right for me. The accountant in my wants to get the most GB for the $$.

Thanks,

Michael

The best sounding iPod is the newest iPod Shuffle, but it doesn't have a direct connection to the iGroove through the 30 pin plug.

I am not sure if the igroove has this problem, but often times with my ipod dock and hk430, i can hear the hard drive spin up and down through the speakers, but I don't hear this with my flash based iPod nano. just a thought.

I used 192 AAC over 192 MP3. To me, a 192 AAC sounds like a 256/320 MP3. Apple also has a great lossless offering in the newest version of iTunes.

It looks pretty unanimous, most of the cool guys at Klispch have the 30gb chrome jobbie. I need to get the most recent version of Itunes for the 'lossless' compression scheme that I guess is better than AIFF?

Should I go to Best Buy for the best price? THere doesn't seem to be much difference.

Michael

I would not worry about re-ripping everything, unless you listen to it and decide on your own. When ripping AAC, I recommend 192 and up and Variable Bit Rate. When ripping lossless, I use Apple's Lossless format, but perhaps AIFF would be best for the future (works on more systems), not that any other portable audio player matters [:)]

aac%20main.jpg

aac%20properties.jpg

Can you tell I love Grab?

The best sounding iPod is the newest iPod Shuffle, but it doesn't have a direct connection to the iGroove through the 30 pin plug.

I am not sure if the igroove has this problem, but often times with my ipod dock and hk430, i can hear the hard drive spin up and down through the speakers, but I don't hear this with my flash based iPod nano. just a thought.

I used 192 AAC over 192 MP3. To me, a 192 AAC sounds like a 256/320 MP3. Apple also has a great lossless offering in the newest version of iTunes.

Santa just delivered the shuffle for my 9 yr old (OK, I've enjoyed it too), but why do you say it is the best sounding?

The iPod Shuffles use push-pull output instead of the single-ended capacitor-coupled output. This was with the first iPod Shuffle and continued with the second generation. They also put fewer bits of electronics between the headphone jack and the audio, fewer parts = fewer chances for problems (resistance for instance, ooh, that rhymed!). The newest iPod shuffle, being the smallest iPod ever, is even better sounding than the old one. Greater storage, better battery, better sound, smaller size. How do they do it?

An AWESOME article on this can be found here.

iPod Shuffle Square 40Hz

DJ40Sq.gif

vs Dell Jukebox

DJ40SqHP.gif

See how the iPod is square and the Dell is... well, let's just say it's all downhill.

My iPod shuffles get louder than my other iPods as well (namely my 30gb iPod video).

so if I've been ripping MP3 at 192 is that bad? My itunes has the AAC option but it says it needs Quicktime 6.2 or greater. Keeping up with all this software is a nightmare.

You should see how complicated it is to be a photographer in the digital age. Have to buy new software every month or so, annual fees for programs were eating me alive.

So what do I do next, get the latest iTunes and Quicktime and start over? My files sound ok. I burn CD's and play them in the car and on the main system and I'm not ashamed of the sound quality. Or am I missing something?

Colter, if you're not using FLAC or another lossless codec, the best sounding compression to my ears is to use the LAME encoder (3.96.1 or higher) along with EAC (exact audio copy).

You can get Exact Audio Copy here, it the definitive CD ripping software use by people who want exact results. LAME is an open source MP3 encoder that is constantly evolving and improving, and has tons of options to make your audio sound as close to the source as possible. I use VBR compression (VAriable Bit Rate) with some command line options, that give you better quality than a 320K MP3, with about 1/2 the file size in most cases. Out of all the MP3's I've ripped (over 4000) I cannot tell the diff between the compressed song, and the original in all cases. And I consider myself a pretty critical listener.

You can get the newest LAME encoder here. Extract it to a directory (I usually use c:\Program Files\Lame)

Next you would install Exact Audio Copy, and in the wizard tell it you are using an external compressor, and it will search and find LAME.

Finally, go to EAC/Compression Options on the file menu in EAC, and change the Additional Command Line options to this:

-V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

If you want to get the most out of EAC, there is a super detailed tutorial of it's features here.

Hope this helps! I can email you a sample of what the encoding sounds like, most of the stuff I have is rock, but let me know.

M,if you have not yet,go to the apple website,I saw a 40 gig(and others) refurb for 129.00,don't know much about it.I got a Sandisk e280 for Christmas,8 gig with a micro sd(up to 2gig) card slot.I found a site that sells 1gig micro sd cards for $17 delivered,you can put your favorites on different cards and have unlmited library.I put a cd in,drag and drop to 280 done,about 3 minuts per disc to be loaded,even I could do it.

Ignore the talk about Exactcopy because it works only on PC's.

Rip your future stuff on AAC 192 or greater with Variable Bit Rate selected unless you REALLY care for the music (really intense piano for instance) and go with Apple or AIFF Lossless options.

Do not worry about re-ripping.

Do not get the 40gb iPod. If you go for a full sized iPod (not nano or shuffle) you want a video version iPod. They have better drives and batteries and output.

Don't stress out about this. Get a 30gb iPod or 60gb iPod if you want the big screen and large hard drive, choose white or black (match your iGroove perhaps).

As far as photography software goes... lucky me, I got to one of the top journalism schools in the world, the world's first journalism school. I get my Apple computers for hundred and hundreds off and software for pennies on the dollar. Adobe CS2 Suite? $200 Macromedia Studio FX? $70 Aperture? $89 Save the big bucks on like Finale and LogicPro etc.

I might be able to do you some favors ;-)

the 30 gig is a nice ipod. oh dear they got you with the warantee..... The 30 gig ipod is extremely easy to open up and change the battery. The places where you can buy the battery cost around 20 dollars and supply you with the instructions and nylon tools...... I opened many ipods and is extremely easy for the 30 gig. Note where the plastic and metal back meet, that is where you stick the nylon tool (screwdriver type wedge) into and pry one side open. Then when the heatsink (metal side) comes off you can remove the battery and put a new one in. Also if the ipod acts weird and does not work, you can open it up and just pust all the harddrive pins back into place as constant movement will make the pin not align and not work.

BTW I used to work at said company's fruit company's retail store and the direct competition to said circuit city. I know why they push that warantee. I know why they tell you the apple store charges around 100 dollars. And I have replaced many a battery at college for my friends.