matching speaks for my Quartet's

M.Hagen

New on board here, could use some advice. Have Quartets(black finish)and am looking to add another set of Speaks. Debating between the Chourus II's or the Forte II's as I understand that these have a little more bottem end then the first series(is this fact). Looks like the Forte II's have a lower bass response than the Chorus II's, so is it a good idea to add a sub with the CHRS II's or do they still provide sufficient bass with a 15" woof? That goes for the Forte II's too, do they provide enough bass or shoud I use sub. I had considered adding a sub with my Quartets since they are a little light in that department with a 10" woof & 39hz response, but if I can get more bass by going with just a larger speaker than great(would still add sub if needed). Also, how is the sound quality between the two (without a sub)as far as overall quality. Would the CHRS II's over power my Quartets or is that a good match.I listen mainly to Rock,jazz,rap,hip hop. I am running a Marantz 2275 receiver(75watts channel X 4 for 330watts total output in a room that is 12'X 18'. The speakers would be on the long walls facing each other ie. 12' apart. would the CHRS II's be to large in this area. I will most likely be upgrading my receiver to a larger older Marantz for around a 130w a channel(more if recommended) or with a amp/preamp set up also Marantz. Want to get the speakers first and then match my amps to them. I see people talking about getting tubes amps , is that the best way to go? Any recommendations for older Marantz models ( if they made them). I am not looking to build a HT setup(no center speaker) but wouldn't mind the versatility if it's feasible with this equipment at a later date. Basically just want a GREAT sounding setup with speakers that will compliment each other (musically) and a sturdy amp to drive them for years to come. I know this is a lot of questions but I like to do thing only once and get it right. Would appreciate hearing from people who have experience running simular equipment as to what I have mentioned. Thank you for your time.

Hey....

If I already had a set of Quartets, I would definitely match those up with either the ForteII's or the ChorusII's. This line of speakers are almost the perfect match with one another. I don't think you could do better!

I am using the ChorusII's as mains and they do have plenty of bass punch, extremely dynamic, powerful, and detailed. They would not over-power your Quartets if adjusted properly. (Use an SPL meter)

Sure wish I had the room to add Quartets to my system!!!!

I am sure you will be VERY happy with what you have in mind there!

ChorusII mains

Academy center

KG1.5 rear surrounds

SW12II sub

Yamaha rxv2090

Sony DVD w/built in decoder

Yamaha 5 disc changer.

As you can see, most of my equipment is not very new,

but I have it well adjusted to my room...and my taste!

Someday I might consider upgrading my electronics...but the speakers are staying put!

Take care

Mike

Mikekid,

Thank you for taking the time to answer some of my questions posted. I appreciate your input as I would like to build a great sounding stereo system for years of enjoyment. Sounds like you have a great set up yourself and realize that old doesn't mean bad.

MH

I'm with Mike as far as the Chorus/Forte/Quartet being a nicely matched family. I am using a Forte as a center channel for my Chorus, after using a KV-3, and I am delighted with the results. A nice match across the front, plus a full-range center channel speaker. So, get the Chorus II, find another pair of Quartets, and use one of them as a center and keep the second one as a spare!

Doug

------------------

My System

I rotated the Forte 180 degrees and set it on a shelf suspended from the ceiling by 240lb test wire rope. Shielding was not an issue because the woofer is about 5-6 feet from the guns in the TV. I can get away with this arrangement because I don't have an entertainment center with shelves over the TV to deal with. I realize not everyone can do this but I love tossing the idea out there...

Doug

------------------

My System

Since Mike complimented me on another topic, I'll do the same for him here. I have the Forte II in front with two pair of KG 1.2s as surround/rears. Those do quite fine, but if you have the room, then sure, get the Chorus-es (Chori?). In fact, you could put those up front and then move the Quartet's to the rear and rock hard! Or, get a second pair of Quartet's as doug suggested and then you could have both front/rear center speakers!!

As far as a sub goes, realistically, any of the three, Quartet/Forte/Chorus don't NEED a sub. When I bought my Fortes, I listened to all three. I think the Fortes beat the Quartets in bass department, but not by much. I think the Forte/Chorus were pretty close, and while I would love to have bought the Chorus, they were too much cash at the time, so I "settled" for the Fortes. About a year ago, I added a PW2200 sub and really enjoy how that adds to the HT experience. It adds some to music as well, but mainly to really low LFE. The sub keeps up pretty good with music and is quite powerful for explosions, etc.

Chorus will not overpower your room. My system does quite fine in a larger room. I have the Denon AVR4800/POA5200 combo and really love how that does. Heard good things about Marantz, but will stick with Denon. Realistically, you would be able to get by with that 75W, but if you have more headroom, why not. Good luck.