Intermittent Midrange Driver

mrfly

Greetings everyone,

I have owned a pair of Cornwalls for about 5 years now and I love them. However,

I've noticed that in the left speaker the midrange driver cuts out occasionally. Should

I presume that the driver is damaged? If so, how does one go about replacing it? I

would appreciate any advice and/or details. Thank you in advance.

c>

------------------------------------

Cornwall I (Black)

Adcom GTP-450 pre-amp

Adcom GFA-535 amp

Kyocera DA-710CX cd

This message has been edited by mrfly on 12-07-2001 at 04:54 PM

I would not assume that the driver itself is dying. The problem is more likely a loose connection either on the midrange driver or at the crossover. Take the back off of the Corny and take a boo.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

Have you made sure that the problem is actually with the speaker and not with your amplifier. If you are certain that the speaker is the problem:

I would not assume that the driver itself is dying. The problem is more likely a loose connection either on the midrange driver or at the crossover. Take the back off of the Corny and take a boo.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

I agree.

The first step in a problem like this is to inspect the connections at the driver and the cross over. Wiggle the connections and make sure things are snug and clean.

The next step would be to swap the left and right drivers. Make a note of what wires go where and, better yet, mark them, and the location they go to. A dab of nail polish and masking tape can be big aids.

See if the problem follows the location of the driver. At that stage, I think you could leave the back open for testing unless you're driving them very hard in the bass.

If you decide it is the driver, you can send it back to Hope for repair.

The only time (err, times) I've failed an internal driver voice coil, it is dead entirely. On the other hand, a bad wiring connection gives scratchy or poor performance at low levels and will come "on" at higher levels, only to drop out later.

Let us know what you find.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 12-04-2001 at 08:18 PM

Thank you all for your quick response. I'm going to have a friend help me dismantle the Cornwall to determine what is wrong. I'll be sure to update this forum with the results. Thank you again.c>

------------------

---------------------

Cornwall I (Black)

Adcom GTP-450 pre-amp

Adcom GFA-535 amp

Kyocera DA-710CX cd

This message has been edited by mrfly on 12-07-2001 at 04:59 PM

Well I removed the back of the speaker cabinet and everything appears fine. No loose wires or connections. What next? I don't feel comfortable with swamping the midrange drivers between the two speakers. I don't see how that will make much difference? TIAc>

------------------

---------------------

Cornwall I (Black)

Adcom GTP-450 pre-amp

Adcom GFA-535 amp

Kyocera DA-710CX cd

"I don't feel comfortable with swamping the midrange drivers between the two speakers. I don't see how that will make much difference? " Give me a break! You can't handle two wires? You would rather pack up the speakers and take them to the dealer for repair? The point in swapping the drivers from left to right cabinets is to find out if the problem is in the driver or the network.