OT: Best memory for digital cameras?

Mitch

I am thinking about buying a digital camera, and the one I am looking at accepts Compact Flash Type I memory. I have always gone with Crucial Technologies (division of Micron) when buying ram for my computer, and was wondering if this would be a good place to get Compact Flash memory as well. Any good brand names out there that I should consider for this camera?

if you can, invest a little mor eoney and find a camera that can take an IBM MicroDrive. it is well worth it since microdrives are farely cheap and provide 354mb on one little disk

how much money are you going to spend?

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Mitch,

I've not used the Crucial brand, but they do have a good rep. I've got a variety of CompactFlash cards, including Kodak, SanDisk, Lexar and Kingston. The Kingston is a 256MB card that I got for about $125 on a promotional special off the Windows Media Player site (check there occasionaly for more deals). The only brand that I don't much care for is the Lexar card - it's "USB Enabled", which means that it's got drivers on it for use with the Lexar USB reader. The downside is that those files take up a portion of the disc capacity and my Lexar card has less free space than similar sized cards from the other makers (that aren't USB Enabled).

I use a regular PC Card reader on my PC, and use a Compact Flash adapter in that. I'd stay away from the little readers that require USB Enabled cards.

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

I am specifically looking at the Canon Powershot s300...the cheapest I can find it right now is around $375. It sounds like the microdrive would be a good option, I just haven't researched enough to know which camera's accept it. I may just end up going with 128 megs of brand name memory, whether it be Crucial or Kingston. If there are any other digital cameras in that price range that you think I should consider, please let me know. Thanks for the help guys.

might i refer you to this....

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum33/HTML/000409.html

we talked about this subject extensively Smile.gif good browsing Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

I just pulled out the Windows Media Player disc that I'd ordered several months ago. It was on that disc that I found the link to Kingston with the discounted Compact Flash prices. Well, the link's still active!

Here's the Kingston deal.

A bit higher than I remember paying 3 months ago, but still pretty cheap compared to what I've seen locally.

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

great news,

quote:

In a joint announcement today SanDisk and Toshiba introduced a 1Gbit NAND flash memory chip that will significantly increase the present capacity of flash media used in MP3 portables and digital cameras.

The higher capacity is achieved through multi-level cell (MLC) technology developed by SanDisk that allows two bits of data to be stored in one memory cell, doubling memory capacity. Two 1Gbit dies also can be stacked in a single TSOP (Thin Small Outline Package) and this will allow the production of up to 2Gbit flash memory cards. The new flash chip will be manufactured on the same 0.16 micron process that is currently used in the production of the 512Megabit chip.

that is a lot of memory! it will be costly when it firsts comes out but prices are expected to drop dramatically... so, just get a maera that can use scandisk cards, canons do Smile.gif, and wait for the new cards later next year Smile.gif

------------------

-justin