redoing an academy

merkin

I obtained an academy in pretty poor shape. Didn't pay much for it so it will be kind of a project. I wanted some ideas on repairing it. The corners are all good just kind of scratched up.

1st problem: One of the K-1011-kv has distortion and is scratchy sounding. I would guess the voice coil is fried. Do I just order a new speaker from klipsch or send it to someone to get it repaired? I don't even know what they cost or if they are available. I don't need it right away, just a project that I might put it in my second system instead of the quintets.

2nd problem. The bucking magnets have came off. Can they just be reglued to the K-1011-kv using something like liquid nails of do you have another suggestion for the glue. ( I accually don't need the magnets since I'm not using it where it will cause distortion in my TV. I have a DLP rear projection that I'll be using it with. Thought I'd might as well restore it as original though.)

3rd problem: The diaphram on the tweeter is broke. I have a second tweeter with a bad diaphram already so I'm just going to order a new diaphram

4 th problem: outsides are scratched up and dull. Could I lightly sand it and restain and then add a coat of poly or something else to restore the exterior. It doesn't have to look perfect, would just like it to shine a little and not be scrached up. None of the scratches are through the veneer but some are deep enough that I don't think I could get all the scratches out completely but that is OK if the finish over them is good. What is the stain that you would use for the black finish.

Thanks for any responses.

1) This came up recently with the KLF-C7....check to see if the basket holding the magnet didn't get bent from the speaker being dropped during shipping. If it did, then just bend it back [:o] Otherwise you'll need to replace the voice coil (might as well just do an entire recone at that point). If the bucking magnets got knocked off then a bent basket sounds like even more of a possibility.

2) Bucking magnets are not required

I'm not good with the aesthetics issues so I won't comment on those [;)] Hopefully you'll be able to restore these and still come out ahead.

Thanks Who,

I'll take a closer look and see if I can see anything bent. By basket that holds the magnet I am guessing that you mean the metal shell frame that the magnet is connected to. Is there anyone on the forum who recones or can suggest someone who does?

not the first time ive seen a bucking magnet come off one of those, i doubt anythings bent they just dont attach them very securely, BEC has diaphragms for those k-76's or 75 i forget either way hes got them, infact i would see if he can recone the woof for you as well

read this for a great x-over