Best FM receiver for tough conditions, suggestions?

WMcD

Does anyone here track FM receiver performance? I have a tough reception problem.

My office is in Chicago's Loop. I'm about two blocks from Sears Tower and 2 miles from the Hancock. Both house major transmitters.

I like to listen to WDCB, the PBS station in the suburbs. Low power and far away.

So far, I find that a 1970 table radio picks it up with some problems. Walkman types don't. The old home receiver doesn't. The local showrooms are really not set up to allow demos for this problem.

I read about good performance from older McIntosh equipment but they are are really out of the question because of price.

For all the advances in HT and the like, I've not seen manufacturer discussing FM reception in difficult conditions like this. Probably adjacent channel performance is the grail.

My guess is that these days, most manufacturers throw in a common chip which is enought to pick up the local rock station. So I'm looking for something optimized.

Any observations would be welcome. Two channel is all I need.

Gil

sorry to hear that you're having reception problems, it seems some of the older-much older-tuners/receivers actually had better tuning characteristics than today's offerings...marantz used to have some great tuner sections, but i don't know about today's product,and the best route to take is to get the right antenna for your application. there in lies the challenge...trial and error. try radio shack and keep the receipt, you may have to try several antennas. a 'beam-and-element' type antenna can give you exceptional gain, AND is somewhat directional, but for best reception should be attic mounted, or outside. TERK makes a variety of antennas w/powered boosters, and some of those can be used in a directional manner. hoping you find a solution,avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 12-06-2001 at 05:27 PM

Thanks for the responses.

This is an office, hence no attic.

Making things worse, the big, only, window faces east and the station is to the west.

Therefore I think it is simply a matter of adjacent and alternate channel filter performance in the receiver.

I'll have to poke around the internet to discover such parameters for receivers.

Regards,

Gil

Several years ago I bought an indoor ampified antenna called a 'Pi.' I can't remember the exact specs on it but it increases the reception by xxx amount of decibels.

What it looks like is a pie pan about 8 inches across and about 1 1/2" thick that swivels and moves back and forth. It has a pair of rabbit ears that you can adjust for best reception.

About 6 weeks ago I bought an old 'Sherwood'tuner off e-bay for $30 because I was buying a new integrated amp. I hooked to my old Onkyo just to test it and it blew the Onkyo's tuner away. Check e-bay for older

tuners. I got that one for a song and I'm sure there are more tuner bargains to be had.

An indoor ampified antenna could be all you may need. The 'Pi' works really well but I don't know if they still make them. There must be other alternatives A. A.s though.

I enjoy lisyening to PBS too because one of our local stations plays a lot of jazz. Even though the it is about 60 miles away,it used to come really good. Then about a month ago they decided to improve it by increasing the wattage and going all digital. Now it's nothing but noise and static and unlistenable. I wish they would have left well enough alone.

Gil

I live in the Western Suburbs and listen to WDCB 90.9 allday. You are really missing the good jazz. I can hear WNUA 95.5 but at times there is static interference. I recently emailed Terk Tech Support and they indicated that their Terk FM Pro Indoor/Outdoor antenna would solve the problem. They are mailing additional information to me. Suggest you email them at zgarsik@terk.com. ATTN: Zac Garsik, Tech Support Manager.

Good Luck/Klips

This message has been edited by Huhuru on 12-08-2001 at 05:16 PM

Thanks for the responses.

This morning I bought a Sony mini-system at the showroom on Michigan Avenue. An RB-5. The main unit is about the size of a shoe box and is a receiver plus CD player.

One clincher was the its speakers are rated 4 ohms.

I hooked it up to the Forte II at the office.

The distant PBS station comes in well. It is a bit touchy about antenna placement. The antenna being a hank of wire.

It drives the Forte II s very well. I can't imagine audio gets better than this unless you figure in HT.

Regards,

Gil

Many years ago there was alot of talk about how good C. Crane antennas were. I can't remember if it was there AM or FM which was considered very good. Browse through their site and see if there is anything that can help you http://www.ccrane.com/radios_and_antennas_index.asp

Is Studs Terkel still doing a show on Public radio in Chicago? He is a great story teller!

------------------

Just who is Dylan's Jokerman anyways?

Given that Audio Advisor (www.audioadvisor.com) sells a lot of quirky and factory rehab equipment, they also sell a few good (and hard to find) FM tuners and analog turntables. Though it sounds like you have already found somewhat of a solution, the word that I have always heard was that Magnum Dynalab mad the absolute best FM tuners (Magnum Dynalab was to FM tuners what Nakamichi was to stereo cassette recorders). Even if you have already purchased a tuner or have no desire to spend the $1000 plus dollars on a Magnum Dynalab tuner, they also offer a device they call a "Signal Sleuth" that is supposed to clean-up and amplify Fm signals (including multipath distortions). I've never tried the device, but it sounds like it is just what you need. Only $350. Not sure what AA's return policy is in case you're not satisfied. hey also list FM antennas on their website.

I wouldn't recommend purchasing any equipment from them though. Most of their Adcom stuff I can get from my local high volume dealer for less. I did buy my MIT speaker cable from them though because it was about a third of what my local high-end stereo store was selling it for.

Thanks for more antenna suggestions.

Right now I'm as happy as a clam at high tide.

This is a very nice unit. It drives the Forte II very well, no hiss. FM performance is good enough for my application.

I'll have to find another use for the Sony speakers.

Gil

Oh, I forgot.

Yes, Studs is still around. He shows up from time to time.

I like his stories and discussions, with some exceptions.

One time, it sounded to me like he had dubbed in some comments after his interview of a guest to show superior wit. It seemed to me that Groucho used to do the same. (I love my cigar . . .) That sort of thing is annoying.

None the less, his a good recounter of history in general and social history in particular.

Gil