Upgrading RF 3 II system to what ?

falcon20x

Sorry Tom , I 'm still here. I just had the ACL replaced on my knee yetserday and I won't be able to run around for few weeks but the search goes on.

I got plenty time to search the net now lol

As soon as I get back on my feet I'm Planing on going to go listen the rotels receivers as well as Marantz.

The place where I went last weekend to listne the RF 82's also had Marantz receivers but I don't know any one who sales rotel here in Dallas.

Do you happen to know if some one does or not sale those here?

Well I hait to say this but I did buy the receiver today and it is not the Rotel [:'(]

Since I'm going to be down for awhile I spent my days surfing the net.

Sure enough I came across a deal, a brand new harman Kardon AVR 645 for half price of the MSRP, including free shipping and free outdoor speakers. I just could not resist

Anyway, I was not going to be able to go listen the Rotel for awhile so I figure that even if the HK is not excatly what I'm looking for ,it would hold me for awhile until I found a deal on a Rotel or Marantz ,which ever I end up likeing the best. This way I can spend more on the speakers [:D]

Tobby are yours still for sale?

Tom,

I have to check myself here.

I don't mean to sound like an ***, as I know of one or two around the different forums, and yuk.

I am by no means a Rotel expert, or affiliated with them, I just let my experience emotions get ta goin.

The only place I have locally to get Reference speaks is Ultimateelectronics, and its never a real good listening experience.

As you have said, some of the best sonic gains come in the cheap. Placement, enviroment, etc........

We are on the same page, and I just don't want you to think I am seeing it through funky colored glasses.

The journey is all the fun, getting there can get boring................

Bob

Ok. Sooner or later is going to be sooner. I seems you are saying 1068 coupled with my 1095 would be a huge step up form using the Elite as a pre to the 1095. Do you see any disadvantage to selling the Elite and getting a 1068. I know the 1068 does not have hdmi or dvi. Do you see that as a disadvantage in picture quality? Can you set different crossovers for your fronts, center and surrounds? Is a rotel going to be the best direction to look since I already have the Rotel amp or should I consider others? What more does the 1098 have to offer and is the difference worth it?

Tom

Unless you have a HD-DVD player or a Blue Ray player would not worry about HDMI

There a lot of ways to get around plus I really think they are nothing but another marketing tool to sell more electronic equipments

At this time I am not buying without taking hddvd or blueray into account. I probably won't even need sound to the tv so dvi or hdmi both would work for me. My hd sat receiver has hdmi output and I do like the idea of not having quite such a mass of wiring. I suppose both blue ray and hddvd come with a variety of outputs but I will check that out. I have read some say there is an improvement in pq with dvi or hdmi over component and others say it is not noticeable.

Tom

Tom,

both my Denon dvd and Samsung set top box have hdmi-dvi ports, and I prefer the component video picture quality on both, and the coaxial digital for audio. The hdmi softens things a tad to much for my liking. That is probably personal preference.

As far as the Rotel's, I chose the 1068 over the 1098 as the included lcd screen of the 1098 was not worth the xtra 1k plus to me. It also boasts "modular" design, but.............I don't know that they have released any new modules for it as of yet. Both have serial ports and are firmware upgradable, as are all of their recievers.

The 1068 is a peach for the $$$$. Settings wise it has all the features of any of the main stream pieces, as far as delays, gains, crossover points, internal test tones, etc.....It lacks fire wire, usb, mic, yadadada.....

But, sonically it has great 2 channel analog capabilities, and all of the surround formats available to date.

I sold mine, down graded to the comparable "reciever" (RSX-1056), and spent the xtra $$ on tubes for 2 channel throughout.

HHHHMMMMM. For the last coulple of days I have been doing an a/b test with my RF83s and a pair of Kef Reference Threes. I really like the Kefs and they are smaller than the 83s but.............. This past hour I was listening to the 83s with and without the 1095 rotel amp. They sound very good with just the receiver and no amp but.............. Now I'm kinda thinkin about that rsp1068 and what it could do for me. Might rationalize by trading down to the 1075, selling the vsx 82 elite and using the proceeds to help with the purchase of the 1068. Do you think I would miss the 75 watts per channel?

Tom

I really can t tell you, but everything I read about the rf 83 says they need a lot of good power to perfom right.

You can go to start power and check, I don't think they have rotel but they might be able to help

Sorry I haven't been on much but my HK receiver finally showed up yesterday and I spent most of my time setting it up.(not easy to do with one knee out[:|]) but it didn't fixed my biggest problem. My system still sound boxy and I seem to be missing most of the surround effects.

Next setp will be to upgrade the wires to 12 guage and remeasure them to the correct length.

The 1075 is a very robust amp.

It was the 5 channel I had while experimenting with all of the 2 channel offerings. That would be a tough call to make, having never compared the 2. It was one I had sworn I would never part with, all though I say that now with everything I have now............and we all know how that works...........

http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=20

Do a little digging through the archives here, as some of the new comers tend to be a little giddie. It may help you figure some things out if you can't do head to head comparisons.