Upgrading RF 3 II system to what ?

falcon20x

I have a RF 3II, RC 3II RS3 and Sw 15 subwoofer sytem driven by a Yamaha RX-V 520 and it is time to upgrade.

I initially settle for a HK 435 receiver, but the first one  lock up as soon as I turned it on. The next one keep shutting off randomly, so no need to say I returned it and I'm back to my yamaha.
I was ready to upgrade the speakers to the FR 7 serie but as you all know they are out of production.
So where do I  go from here?
The only reason I did not buy the RF 7 initially was because I could not afford them. 
The question is, should I buy the RF 7 (I did find a closeout deal) or move up to the new line? And if I do move up should I go for the RF 63 or RF 82 ( I can t afford the RF83 unless I found a good deal them).
Which one are the closest to the  RF 7, it is the only High end klipsch speaker I can compare them to since it is the only one I know.
What about the center channel? what combination should I choose?
Now the receiver, I did like the clean sound of the HK but what about  the Yamaha rx-v 2700 or the Pioneer Elite series (VSX 82 or 84)?
I really like the USB port on the Pioneer but I think the Ethernet port on the Yamaha would open the door to a lot more options, sound wise I did not really hear much differences
I use the sytem for movies and some music (80/20), it is set up in a 12x 10 room with 9 feet ceilings, the projector is a Infocus X1 first generation which I plan to upgrade later.
 Any other suggestion or option I should consider ?
I would like to have the suggestions and inputs from what klipsch fans have out there, and I understand one person's choice may not be every body's choice but this a forum after all [:)]

There is no doubt that the RF7 are a good choice 

I'm trying to figure out which one of the RF82 or the RF 63 would be the equivalent of the RF7. 
I think the RF 62 would the equivalent of my RF 3 woud you agree?
Same thing for the RC 7 which one would be the closest match a RC 62 or 63?
I've decided to get the Yamaha  RV-X2700 receiver. While the Pionner came really close, the network connection on the Yamaha was the main reason I decided to go back with Yamaha
I really like the media center on my mac and I was going to spend the money on the new Appletv system, but with the network connection I can bypass that, and  stream video and music directly from the computer.

I'm trying to figure out which one of the RF82 or the RF 63 would be the equivalent of the RF7.

I would guess "neither".

Being a biased 7 owner I feel they can't be equaled by anything, except, another 7.

There are a couple of companies out there yet hat still have the 7's new in boxes, and their addresses can be had from epay under Klipsch speakers.

I wonder if they try to "replace" one model when they discontinue, or is it part of the scheme to let the "legend live on"?

Generally speaking, those who have RF7s think they are the greatest and those that have RF83s think they are. Could be they both are. Which is going to sound the best to you can only be determined by your ears. Even then what sounds best in a short listening session might not sound the best over a longer session. I have read and had a number of people tell me that the 83s do not have the tendency to brightness the 7s do but on the other hand what some people complain about as bright may be what others really like about their speakers. My 83s do not sound bright to me is all I know for sure. I have read several comments on this fourm about the RF82 being the "value" of the new Reference line. If I didn't want to spring for the 7s or 83s I might give these a listen to.

Tom

Thanks for the input guys, but what about about the receiver?

Tom what are driving yours with ?
I went to demo the Yamaha  RV-X 2700 and the Pioneer VXS 82 today 
The yamaha was hook up to RF 82 and sounded pretty good but did not have wow factor like I had with the harman on my RF 3's ( for the brief period I was able to get it work lol). I almost walk away from the pioneer that was until I hit the THX button and then there was the wow factor.
The pioneer sounded like crap without the THX function, is that normal?
I need to add that the pionner was hooked up to the RF 62 and the kid I was dealing with while nice was probably born yesterday since did not even know what the RF7 were.

What do you guys think ?

I need to add that the pionner was hooked up to the RF 62 and the kid I was dealing with while nice was probably born yesterday since did not even know what the RF7 were.

What do you guys think ?

Was this at Best Buy/Magnolia? I run into that all the time. I don't think they are very well trained on the previous Klipsch models since they have just started carrying Klipsch. I mention that I have RF3II and so on, and they look at me like I just invented fire and showed it to them.

What do you guys think ?

If you could find a dealer to demo Rotel, you may like them. They have spent more time designing the sonics and a little less on the bells and whistles.

They also rate their output wattage on the conservative side versus many consumer shot pieces.

It depends on the surround decoding you are after.

I currently use their RSX 1056 (5x75) for ht with current surround modes, and then some. I had gone into about $4000 worth of their "sepesrates", but when I turned deeper into 2 channel, I sold all of this and bought a new one of these for about $1050, including tax.

The previous offering was the RSX 1055 (5x75) which is no slouch, it just gives up a little on "stste of the art" surround modes.

I used the 1055 before taking the seperates path, and it was a dandy, and I much prefered the sound of it compared to the Yamaha surround reciever it replaced.

I had also used their older yet, RSP 980 which is a pre-processor, and the 2 channel was stunning, but it really lags in the surround modes, all though they had a slough of seperate processors to plug into it for the different surround formats. These can be had quite cheaply nowadays, especially givin their $2000 price tag back in 99.

I get the feeling they had never tried to compete with the mainstream consumer shot goodies (@ Best Buy, Ultimateelectronics, etc...) but allways focused more on sound, and are great bang for the buck in this area.

And not to fall of track, but I had used RF 3's as mains once upon a time (surround detail now) and they are quite competent speaks, that just don't reach quite as deep as the 7's, but they sure do paint a nice picture.

Good luck, and enjoy, getting to where we want to be is 1/2 the fun of this addiction......

I think I will chime in here briefly. I have some Kef 103/3 speakers that I bought new in 93. I had done an a/b with them against my RF83s and, well, there was no comparrison really. That was with a Pioneer vsx 82. A couple weeks ago I bought a Rotel 1095 amp. I hooked it up to the Pioneer and did another a/b with the speakers. I was using the direct feature on the pioneer and pre outs. It made all the difference in the world with the Kefs. They sounded so much better than they ever had in the 13 years I have owned them. Soundstage and imaging came alive. They closed a lot of the gap on the RF83 but, of couse, still fell well short. The difference the amplification made to the Klipsch must be there but it is more subtle. They sounded great without the amp and great with it. I have not done an a/b using the RF83 with the Rotel and without during a listening session. If I get the time I may lug them out of the closet and give it a try. IMHO these Klipsch speakers are not as dependent on better amplification as some speakers. I am using a Denon 3806 with my THX Ultras and I am very happy with them. I was using the same receiver with the reference speakers and thought they were fantastic. I could never go back to listening to the Kefs without an amp knowing what I know now.

Tom

Tom what are driving yours with ?

I went to demo the Yamaha RV-X 2700 and the Pioneer VXS 82 today

The yamaha was hook up to RF 82 and sounded pretty good but did not have wow factor like I had with the harman on my RF 3's ( for the brief period I was able to get it work lol). I almost walk away from the pioneer that was until I hit the THX button and then there was the wow factor.

The pioneer sounded like crap without the THX function, is that normal?

What do you guys think ?

I have not so much as read the maual yet on my VSX 82. As mentioned above I have mostly been using it to play with speakers and my new Rotel amp. I bought the pioneer because it was well reviewed, had good video features and because it is very ipod friendly and ready (for my daughter). When I bought my Denon I had considered Pioneer so when I needed a second receiver I thought I would give this one a try. I ran the MACC for 5.1 and it really inhibited the sound of my l/r speakers in direct stereo (not pure direct). I went back to factory settings and just adjusted sound level and distance manually and evetything was fine. I did not hear a big difference using THX for movies but I am sure other factors can come into play. I have not connected it to a video sourse yet. Sorry I can't be of much help but once I get everything up and running in this room I should know a lot more about this receiver.

Tom

The amp has indeed bought you some "headroom" Tom, and believe it or not the preamp (pre outs of your rcvr) will have more of an effect on your sound.

Not to say if you put a Higher end pre ahead of a lower end consumer shot amp it will sound good, but, if you have ample power to drive the speaks, the various pre's make a huge difference.

Rotel has a 2 channel bypass on most if not all of their gear which is pretty true to form. Again, it is all about the "sound" each of us is after, and I had found all of their offerings to be a tad warmer, and a little less glaring on the top end than any of the chain store components.

The amp has indeed bought you some "headroom" Tom, and believe it or not the preamp (pre outs of your rcvr) will have more of an effect on your sound.

Not to say if you put a Higher end pre ahead of a lower end consumer shot amp it will sound good, but, if you have ample power to drive the speaks, the various pre's make a huge difference.

Rotel has a 2 channel bypass on most if not all of their gear which is pretty true to form. Again, it is all about the "sound" each of us is after, and I had found all of their offerings to be a tad warmer, and a little less glaring on the top end than any of the chain store components.

No doubt. I do not disgree with anything you are saying. Good food for thought. Some where down the road I would like to have a Rotel pre or some other good brand to go with my amp. Right now I am trying to get some widow coverings for the six 4' x8' windows that take up most of two walls. That should have a positive impact on audio don't you think. In the furture I may have a Rotel question for you and that could be sooner or later. I have this pest of a daughter that thinks she wants to go to college and other dumb stuff like that to slow me down. Forutnately, the journey is half the fun. Each increment of improvement should be savored a little before pressing on. I still think a guy can take some Klipsch speakers and a good receiver and have darn good sound that will knock most peoples socks off. In fact, I know he can.

Tom

Tom,

I have to check myself here.

I don't mean to sound like an ***, as I know of one or two around the different forums, and yuk.

I am by no means a Rotel expert, or affiliated with them, I just let my experience emotions get ta goin.

The only place I have locally to get Reference speaks is Ultimateelectronics, and its never a real good listening experience.

As you have said, some of the best sonic gains come in the cheap. Placement, enviroment, etc........

We are on the same page, and I just don't want you to think I am seeing it through funky colored glasses.

The journey is all the fun, getting there can get boring................

Bob

Tom,

I have to check myself here.

I don't mean to sound like an ***, as I know of one or two around the different forums, and yuk.

I am by no means a Rotel expert, or affiliated with them, I just let my experience emotions get ta goin.

The only place I have locally to get Reference speaks is Ultimateelectronics, and its never a real good listening experience.

As you have said, some of the best sonic gains come in the cheap. Placement, enviroment, etc........

We are on the same page, and I just don't want you to think I am seeing it through funky colored glasses.

The journey is all the fun, getting there can get boring................

Bob

Now problem Bob. I am here to learn. Don't withhold your opinion. Sometimes my posts seem to be about me convincing myself of something. Now where did Falcon go?

Tom