new system - first time setup

ocdood

Let me preface by saying that I got this system more for movies than audio but after listening to Stranglehold by Ted Nugent cranked up, I see how this can get addicting.

I just setup my new HT system and it sounds awesome but I get no picture on the TV except with the DVD player. I checked all the cables and they're all snug.

Components:

Sony 50" LCD

Onkyo TX-SR604

Sony DVP-NS75H

Cables connections:

Cable Box - DVI to HDMI cable to the AVR

Cable Box - Optical to the AVR

DVD Player - HDMI to the AVR

AVR - HDMI to the TV

What am I missing?

thanks

Try connecting your Cable box directly to your TV. If it still doesn't work you might have a faulty cable or the wrong DVI type (There's DVI-D and DVI-A I believe)

Do you get sound from your Cable box? How many HDMI inputs does your TV have? Have you tried swapping HDMI inputs on the Onkyo?

What Wuzzer said................depending on how many outputs your cable box has try connecting the cable picture to the tv via DVI/HDMI and the optical to the AVR, then if you have a component out on the cable box, connect that and L/R audio to the tv on an alternate connection, this way you should be able to watch tv w/sound from tv speakers on say, "TV-1" and tv/DVD with surround from the AVR on "TV-2", occcasionally with Sony products you may have to mute the tv speakers if you don't do the double set up so the surround and tv speakers aren't on at the same time, this also works in reverse and sounds like the trouble you are having. Go into the Menus for both the TV and the DVD to see if one is muted it's a default for Sony on setup and caused me a similar grief.

BTW, each of the Sony manuals has pictures of cable setups as well as the menus and are good to have in front of you when setting up like Oldbuckster said.

Best of luck!

Did you read your

manual ?????????

You can't be serious! Huge manuals and

excessive complexity sometimes make it almost impossible to set up and

use today's technogadgetry. 60 Minutes had a segment on this last

night. A Northwestern University prof said that technology changes are

so fast and competitive pressures so great that products are pushed

into the marketplace before engineers (or translators) have a chance to

simplify them. Function and feature creep are rampant and beyond

nearly all rationality.

My answer to your above question would be maybe I did, maybe I didn't -- so what?

How typical of a functionally illiterate academician who comments about abstractions in a world lacking any specific finite application! In other words: "Help! Don't confuse me with facts! I am a victim!"

And if he wants to complain, complain simply that some technical instructions are not more clearly presented.

That might have some relevance if one were charged with the responsibility of keeping up with every advancement and every variation on the market!

But here one only has to become familiar with this particular configuration! So it makes sense to stop and RTFM.

While

questions are fine (and perhaps unavoidable!), it only makes sense to

subsequently become familiar with the configuration and features of the

configuration that you have.

Either that, or we should establish

a new forum category for every time someone wants to know

how to change channels or to now play a videotape or listen to the

radio instead of playing a DVD or watching cable! And one wonders who here has been able to figure out their configuration, let alone someone else's in order to provide assistance. After all, its just too confusing for us to figure out!

As

far as routing issues, you generally have to provide a consistent

pathway from source to TV, as the many receivers will not re-route,

say, an S-video input to say, a component output. I suspect that a

similar problem is the issue here.

Welcome to the Forum!

When I get something new I always read the whole manual before I do anything. That said, some of the manuals are not written well and many actually contain errors. I have had multiple occasions when following the manual perfectly step by step fails only to try something else and succeed, then I call tech support and hear them tell me the manual has a misprint and my fix is the correct way. Additionally, I have manuals for products designed and built overseas that were translated to English so poorly that parts of them (usually just the part I really need to understand) is not understandable.

A well written manual that corresponds correctly to the setup and operation of equipment nowdays is pretty rare, I think in part because of the expense of doing it right, and because the target audience these days is much less techically inclined - which makes it much more difficult to write, and often results in the presentation of misleading concepts.

Those of us with technical backgrounds can sometimes read between the lines and figure out what is presented (from what is misrepresented or in error); heaven help the general audience for these things...my sympathies are with you. It's great to have a Forum like this to get help.

That's how mine works, one input for regular tv, a 2nd for surround sound, that way I don't always need to turn on everything just to catch the news or if I'm watching late at night. Hopefully this solves you problem with a minimum of fuss. Thanks for getting back and letting us know how it's going for you.

Best of luck!