looking for a quality pro-logic pre/pro w/ multi-channel analog inputs

jrios212

hi guys,

hopefully this post makes sense.  i currently am borrowing a harmon/kardon avr 80 that i use the multi channel analog inputs to listen to music and movies.  my denon 2910 handles all the processing.

anyway, i may have to give the HK back so i'm looking for a cheap, yet quality, similiar solution.  

do you guys know of any old prologic quality pre/pro out there that would still be easy to find. the only requirement i have is that it has 5.1 channel analog inputs.  also, the only reason i mention pro-logic is because i'm assuming those would be cheaper and i don't really need/want to pay for a funtionality my dvd player will do.  if i can find a good pre/pro then i'll probably just buy a nice 5 channel amp and upgrade the pro logic pre/pro later when i have the money.

i'm about to go back to school so money will be tight again. thanks for all the help.  hopefully this question made sense.

jacob

p.s. i don't really want to spend more than $300 on this, $200 would be great. :)

hi guys,

hopefully this post makes sense. i currently am borrowing a harmon/kardon avr 80 that i use the multi channel analog inputs to listen to music and movies. my denon 2910 handles all the processing.

anyway, i may have to give the HK back so i'm looking for a cheap, yet quality, similiar solution.

do you guys know of any old prologic quality pre/pro out there that would still be easy to find. the only requirement i have is that it has 5.1 channel analog inputs. also, the only reason i mention pro-logic is because i'm assuming those would be cheaper and i don't really need/want to pay for a funtionality my dvd player will do. if i can find a good pre/pro then i'll probably just buy a nice 5 channel amp and upgrade the pro logic pre/pro later when i have the money.

i'm about to go back to school so money will be tight again. thanks for all the help. hopefully this question made sense.

jacob

p.s. i don't really want to spend more than $300 on this, $200 would be great. :)

I have a Denon 3030 for sale. It is a killer Pro Logic amp

I have a ADCOM GTP-550 I'd probably let go of, It has Dolby Pro-Logic II. Original packaging and manuals. Even have a ADCOM GFA-6000 Amp with same.

hi plummer, 

thanks for the response.

are you selling both and if so what would you want for them? how woud characterize the sound of adcom?  i've heard they can sound kind of bright.  has this been your experience?

jacob

I have a ADCOM GTP-550 I'd probably let go of, It has Dolby Pro-Logic II. Original packaging and manuals. Even have a ADCOM GFA-6000 Amp with same.

hi plummer, 

thanks for the response.

are you selling both and if so what would you want for them? how woud characterize the sound of adcom?  i've heard they can sound kind of bright.  has this been your experience?

jacob

Jacob, I never new that the ADCOM equipment was "bright" until I bought Sunfire, compared to the Sunfire I'd say yes it tends to be bright with Chorus's. Now I have recently hooked up my Heresy II's in two channel with a homeade sub in my workout room, I can't say that I hear that brightness now with that setup, maybe the Chorus's were bringing that out.

The Amp has never been opened up, and the Pre-amp/tuner has recently had new tuner parts installed, the exact words from the repair tech was "Man this is an oldie, but a goodie". I'm thinking $600.00 plus freight.

"The Amp has never been opened up, and the Pre-amp/tuner has recently had new tuner parts installed, the exact words from the repair tech was "Man this is an oldie, but a goodie". I'm thinking $600.00 plus freight."

Thats a super good price.  Probally get a few hundred more on ebay.  Nice of you to offer it at a decent price here.

Last week I post a few items here I was selling at a lower price than what I listed it on ebay and wound up selling instantly on day 1 of a 10 day listing for my buy it now price.   Onkyo TX-ds939 was one of the items.  An all time classic that listed in the low 3K area and I soild for 575.  Offered it here for 500.    Fellow came and got it and paid cash.  Did'nt even have to pack it.

Remaining in my Monster HT reciever collection is an Onkyo TX-DS989.  Still sold on ebay for 1200 and up.  List was mid 3K.  not much different from the current top of the line selling for 4K.  Fourm price is 950.  Ebay buy it now is 1150.

hi plummer,

thanks for the response.

are you selling both and if so what would you want for them? how woud characterize the sound of adcom? i've heard they can sound kind of bright. has this been your experience?

jacob

Jacob, I never new that the ADCOM equipment was "bright" until I bought Sunfire, compared to the Sunfire I'd say yes it tends to be bright with Chorus's. Now I have recently hooked up my Heresy II's in two channel with a homeade sub in my workout room, I can't say that I hear that brightness now with that setup, maybe the Chorus's were bringing that out.

The Amp has never been opened up, and the Pre-amp/tuner has recently had new tuner parts installed, the exact words from the repair tech was "Man this is an oldie, but a goodie". I'm thinking $600.00 plus freight.

thank you for the kind offer plummer. this is a dumb question but the gtp-550 has multi channel analog inputs right, for the subwoofer too? (i'll be using my dvd player for dts & dolby digital decoding)

it seems i have a tough decision to make now. my friend, who has been letting me borrow his Harmon Kardon AVR 80 has informed me that if i really wanted to keep it he would sell it to me. (probably for about $200-$300)

i wonder how the two compare given that i've never heard the adcom, but have heard great things about their gear?

again, thanks for the kind offer. i'll have to give this a couple of days thought.

jacob

p.s. would you be willing to just sell the preamp? i apologize for my indecisiveness but given that i'm about to go back to school (bschool) money will be a bit tight the next couple of years, so this decision will be with me for awhile. anyway, you guys are great. one day when i'm wise, i hope i can return the favor.

Jacob, The GTP-550 has RCA inputs only One left channel, one right channel, and one video input. It is an old unit and does not support DTS or Dolby D. It does not have component video switching and does not hav S-video. It does have a sub output. The remote control works, but has a small broken part on it and the battery door has to be taped to stay closed. This is a $100 replacement so I never felt the need to buy a new one.

I would prefer to sell the two together as I don't know what I'd do with a 5 channel amp by itself. But, I'd take $250 for the Pre-tuner.

If not, It seems happy running my Heresy II's and sub for now.