Phono pre-amp - can i use tape out on an amp with a phono stage

JodyHIFI

Hey

I have a NAD320 BEE (with no phono stage). Running
Klipsch bookshelve speakers. Recently got back to vinyl. I want a
decent phono pre-amp but dont want to spend much. It is possible to use
an amp (looking around for a vintage classic) with a pre-ampo stage.
And use the tape out into my 320 BEE. Will this work as an effect phono
stage. and what vintage amps have a decent phono stage.

tx

Jody

Should work - although you might be better off merely replacing the Nad with the vintage unit - or buying a dedicated external phono stage that can be plugged into any available RCA port.

Of course doing it your way would increase the number of available pre-amp inputs if that is an issue for you.

That would work, but if you are going to go out and buy something with a phono stage, another option is to just get a seperate phono stage, black box device like the project-se unit.

http://www.phonopreamps.com/

Also the sub-100 buck level. I bought one from them with a switchable RIAA/78 RPM curve for use with my Empire Mark IV 78 rpm setup and find the sound extraordinary at the price (63.00). A friend visiting simply stared at the turning disc while protesting "That music CAN't be coming from that..." while listening to a 30's vintage Ellington record. My stacks of well worn wax have never sounded better.

I suspect these would fare well for the entry-level LP curiosity seeker. At least there is not much risk...

Dave

Yes, Jody - you can do what you are proposing. I use my vintage Luxman receiver for its phono stage only, and then into my tube Peach pre. Works great and sounds heavenly. In my opinion, the vintage Luxman and Nakamichis had nice phono stages, if you choose to go that route.

Carl.