Forte I problems

kcomet

Hello, this is my first post to this forum. I have Forte I speakers bought in 1986. They have been used, used, and USED. They still sound good but the high ranges seem to drop out slightly then come back in and on loud high notes there is a crackling sound like a loose conection. I have checked the connections and everything is tight. Has anyone else had a problem like this? In browsing thru the forum it appears that replacement parts are not available. Are there some newer speakers and horns that would fit in the Forte cabinets? Maybe the speakers aren't the problem. My amplifier is a Pioneer A-88X (120 watts per channel) also bought in 1986. I've replaced the 1986 version of Monster Cable with the new version and still have the problem. I am also curious about a DIY crossover device developed by one of the forum members but not sure how to buy one. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. The Fortes and I have been thru heaven and hell together and I would hate to loose my old friends.

Lori aka "Kcomet"

It very well could be the diaphragm / voice coil which is on the edge. You'll have to figure out whether it is the tweeter or the midrange. Taking the horns out of the box and checking with an ohm meter might help resolve that.

I'm pretty sure the diaphragm / voice coil assembly is still available for both the tweeter and mid.

Depending on how "handy" you are, you may be able to perform this replacement yourself. Or someone from the forum can do it.

Doing it yourself lets you get to know your old friend a lot better.

Gil

• Moderators

I just thought I would throw this out there.

Yesterday I went and picked up a pair of Forte ll's for someone and when I tried them out when I got home they had a big problem.

The bass was in and out and very scratchy ? I took out the passive radiator on the rear to look for a problem and found nothing.

Then I looked at the crossover and everything looked fine. So I just unplugged the bass wires and they were on there very tight, you would think if they were on there that tight it has to make a good connection. There was no corosion to be seen, so with them playing I plugged them in and unplugged them a few times in desperation.

After a few times of doing that it stopped and played perfectly ? and is still fine ? No form of visible corosion or anything ?

But it worked ? Both speakers were doing the same thing, and it fixed both of them, and I played them all day today and they are fine ?

These Forte ll's were unused and in thier box for over a year ! Could that have done something ?

Give it a try it's free, clean off the terminals with something and try again, you never know .