Six Pac to go!

russ69

Just plugged in a new set of AES Six Pac mono blocks. This is my first "high power" tube amp and it's delicious. It's still fresh so I've just spun one CD, but so far so good. It adds some weight that my Quicksilver amp was missing (The Quicksilver mini-mono is still a fine amp). Anybody else have a pair?

Thanx, Russ

Thanx Chuck,

I got another hour of listening in today. I've just had them long enough to listen a little and set the bias. The Six Pacs were quite a step up, not too different in overall tone (which is good) but a deeper sound stage, fuller, a tiny tad warmer and of course more powerful. Detail has improved without the loss of warmness. It's a very good match for my Triangle Celius, Cary SLP pre-amp and my existing cables. The Quicksilvers are now out on my second system with Klipsch RF-25's. The Quicksilvers sound fairly powerful with those. So far so good, I was worried that my complete system would fall apart with an amplifier change, I spent a lot of time and money to get it just so. I'm not easy to please so it was nice that it worked out without even a cable change.

Thanx, Russ

I think you have not spent enough time listening yet, if the six-pacs are new there will be a break in period. After which the sound will start to settle down and change ever so slightly. New tubes need to settle in also as there is degregation period, after which that sound will settle. The caps need to form and find there spot as well. So I would not pass any judgement just yet as to the overall sound.

Jay

Russ...if you can send pictures please do. I still haven't learned how to do that..not exactly on the cutting edge technologically speaking....heck I haven't even learned how to cut and paste and miss out on a lot of the info sent to me. It just hasn't been a priority...rather tinker with the system.

Have you experimented with tubes on the Quicksilvers? Are they EL-34 based?

I just replaced my EL-34s with KT-77s in the horn monos and am well pleased with the result.

Enjoy!

Chuck

Russ...WPM one of my buddies in Texas tube rolls his Quickies a lot ant I think he has settled on 6550s? He tried the KT-88 and others but moved on. Anyway I am sure they are on the back burner now that you have the new monos. Burn em in good and let us know what you think.

Chuck