Hersey's need a Subwoofer - Which one?

AKBST70

The set up is... Heresy II's Dynaco St70 NAD PreAmp 1165

Which subwoofer will work w/this set up?

and one more....Is the Juicy Music Blue Berry Xtreme that good to justify the cost? I need a little more of push before making that kind of commitment.

Thanks - All opinions welcome

- AKBST70

I usually start with a price point, and with that in mind, I looked at something from either Klipsch, SVS, or HSU.

After a week of looking around, I picked a HSU model to run with my Heresy/Forte/KG4 pairs. I'll know more in a couple of weeks as it was just ordered, but there is plenty out there in any price range. Someone with subwoofage history should run into this thread in a while that has actual experience!.........................................NP....Sandinista!.............................

Maybe it just me....but I swear I'm not hearing enough lower end definition through my system. I'm not talking BOOM, The mids & treble range sounds great, they just seem to domite over the low end. My ears keep telling me I need to hear a broader toanl/frequency range.

It could the the Dynaco, which "alledgely" lacks the bass, but I dont know.

So that is why I think I need to consider a sub, or really do I need to consider a upgrade mod to the ST70?

I'll take some info the the Blue Berry X if anyone has it.

AKGST70,

I would guess that the ST 70 is the weak link in your system. An Dynaco ST 70 in stock form has an over all warm sound that lacks definition and has muddy and bloated bass at best. When I did a mod to mine (AVA ST Super 70i), it was like day and night. The sound is much clearer and the bass is tight and has more punch. Before you make another change in your system, I would go for any of the mods to the ST 70 recommended on this forum. On the other hand, the acoustical characteristics of your room has a great effect on how your speakers sound. Start with whatever is the Klipsch recommended distances from the walls and then spend time moving your speakers around in small increments, layout permitting, to determine how they sound best. You may find the bass is there after all. If not, the next move I would make is to add subwoofers, and yes, I mean more than one. Where music listening is concerned, two subs almost always sound better than one because a pair tends to smooth out room response. Because you are going with two you can go with a smaller woofer size (2 tens instead of 1 twelve, for instance) unless you need to hear the lowest octave, which you probably don't need unless you listen to large scale classical or organ music. As far as what subs you should go with, what might go best are ones that have the the same design as your Heresy's which, I believe, but am not sure about, is a sealed box. But sealed enclosures are not the trend in subs these days. There are many good inexpensive subs out there today and most any good sub will integrate well, especially if you use two. I'm sure other forum members with Heresys and subwoofers will make recommendations. The Blueberry is a wonderful preamp, but I think you will get more sound for your investment by making the other moves first.

Phil

Thanks for the reply. After listening over and over to select records in the past week. My conclusion is some recordings may not have the low end I think I should be hearing, with others it's just kinda flat. On that note it maybe time to mod the Dynaco. Your analysis did help, thank you.

Also..I am looking to upgrade my exhisting pre-amp. Looking for a tube unit. I'd prefer not to go w/an 40 yr old unit only upgrade it. I would like to find a new unit. I keep seeing Blueberry on the forum, and have read as much as I could per JM's site. I need to get a users feed back on their experience w/this preamp. If it is the gold standard decribe to me what it gives you that your previous pre-amp didn't, etc.

Thanks, Adam