Has anyone listen to both THX Ultra 2 and klipsch rf 83 package

Skistud07

For Moives the THX Ultra II is the best system I have ever heard. I have auditioned the Ultra II and the RF 83, and the Ultra II is much better. If your budget allows it get the Ultra II. I went with the RB-75

RC-7 and RS-75 for my Theater, for budget purposes. I scored a pair of RB-75's unopened in box for an authorized dealer for $700.00 so that was a no brainer. But when my budget allows I will upgrade to the Ultra II

My new home is being built in amsterdam. I know towne tv in rotterdam has the ultra 2 system. If there's anyone around that sells the 83's, I'd love to hear them. I think I may just go with the ultra 2 system though. I can the entire system that retails for 10750 for 4300, so i'm thinking of just going with that set up, even if I don't use all 7 speakers at first. Is this a good price? Anyone know of any good tv entertainment stands for the sony 60 inch xbr2 rear projection that would allow me to put a kl-650 thx in it as a center?

I would call Hippo's in Stuyvesant Plaza and see what they have available in the Ref-IV line. They seem to have alot of their stock in their warehouse, not on the floor, at least when I was searching for the RC-64. Town TV had a nice room set up for the Ultra system and when I demo'd it, I was very impressed. I don't know the price of tea in China, but getting an entire system that retails for $10750 for $4300 seems like one heck of a deal.

As for a TV stand, you may be better off designing your own. In alot of stands, would you really want to put your center under the TV so that the

center is aimed towards the listener's shins?

Towne TV had an excellent demo room, and I loved it. Hippo's only had the rf 82, and no klipsch thx stuff. As far as the stand goes, I'm not sure what I want to do. I don't know where to put the center. I don't want the system to be too invasive to the room. I know I'll put at least the other 2 kl 650's on stands left and right of the tv, but the center has me a little lost as to where to put it. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. That's my only problem with the system really, where to put that center speaker. Also, I think I'm going to mate the system with the denon avr 4306 receiver, I can get this receiver for 1300, 200 under budget. Anyone have this receiver, or have any input on it? Thanks for the replies.

I will say this about the Ultra 2 THX SYSTEM... Get a pre amp with the Ultra 2 (not select or otherwise) And you should have a perfect match!

It is also, for those that love Movies and TV/HDTV, Concerts, a wonderful audio experience.

Is it for everyone? No... But when you want the best... It just rocks!

Skistud

I had the RF83s in my greatroom and replaced them with the Ultr II speakers. I made this switch becuse I needed to go built in and had a cabinet built by a cabinet maker to accomadate the L,C,R, Subs and a 60" sony. The cabinet was a bit (ok, perhaps more than a bit) of a compromise but I had to keep everybody happy. Before I had the cabinet built I had the ultras and the RF83s in the same room and toyed around with them a bit. At the time I had not yet acquired the Ultra subs and was using a good 15" sub for both sets of speakers. I was using a Denon 3806 alone with no amp. I am by no means an expert, audiophile or even have the experience that most of the above posters do but my impressions were as follows:

The ulta system, in my situation, had the edge in home theater. I said edge. That is not meant to take anything away from the Reference system. H/T is what the ultras were designed for and they are really really good at it.

I enjoyed music more listening the the RF83 pair in stereo without a sub and the Denon set to pure direct than any other way. The ultas with a sub sounded great but not like the big 83s IMHO. My listening sessions tended to be longer and my toe tapping and leg bouncing were more intense with the towers. When I read a statement by someone who says they are buying speakers just for or mostly for home theater I sometimes wonder if they have listened to some top notch speakers and a good cd lately. It can be a revelation.

Having said the above I have to concede that others could have different impressions. Different room sizes, better accustics, better electronics, and different listening taste could change everything. For those reasons and more I don't think that any of the posters above are wrong. If I were builing a dedicated home theater where I intended to also listen to music I could be happy with either set of speakers. If I had to make a decision between the two, well, I think I would have to do further testing in that room.

Tom

For movies, I agree, the THX2 is by far the way to go. I myself love music first and foremost and thats why I wanted my 83's.

Tobby, you are right though, some folks forget how much they actually love music till they hear it on a system that really shines and does what a good system is supposed to do, sound fantastic to you. Personally I hadn't listened to alot of 2 channel in quite a few years, I got caught up in the DVD concert thing, when I got my 83's i rediscovered my CD collection and now hunt for new discs that don't sound like crap.

Thanks for the review. I hadn't even thought about that, but it's a great idea, building a cabinet to accomodate the L,C,R,. Where in your cabinet did you put the center? I suppose I could put it under the tv and angle it upwards slightly. And you are right, I would think the 83's would sound better for music. I listened to a cd on the ultra 2's and the music sounded pretty good, but not the way it should sound coming out of a tower. It's also good to hear about the receiver, I looked at that one, but am going to go with the 4803 for now. Possibly, once I learn more about all of this, I will invest in a preamp. Until then, I have to find a good cabinet maker. Thanks for the feedback.