Picked up RS-52's - now I know what I was missing.

TheKillerTomato

I'm slowly but surely upgrading my system. At xmas, I picked up RF-82 mains and the RC-62 center, pushed by the Pio VSX-81TXV. I just added two RS-52's for my surrounds (replaced htib pioneer speakers), and the results are amazing. Thanks to all of you who helped me in my decisions.

Colter, I aimed my RS-52's, and it works, so don't rip me.

Before and after ...

Before

AFTER...

After

Omnimount 20.0 mounts

Nice looking space & your wife lets you hang spks..cool.

Yeah, she's the best.

I was advised to get RB-61's for the rears, but I love the 52's so much that I'll probably get two more.

Google 'THX speaker placement'- THX advises monopole directional speakers for the rear surrounds. Really.

A: How one places the speakers depends on a couple of

things.

Our prime recommendation for consumers using components

with THX Ultra2 Certification and looking for a

single

speaker arrangement for cinema and music is the following:

two dipole speakers to the side and two direct

radiators

in the back touching side by side with the ASA circuit

engaged at a distance less than one foot. (Figure

2).

The ASA circuit takes the single back channel signal

and using the two speakers makes it sound like

one timbrally

correct wall-to-wall sound. In THX cinema mode, the

balance is as recorded. In THX Music mode, the

sound

is biased toward the back to mimic the ITU recommendations

for 5.1 speaker placement in music recording situations.

Looks good- what was the exact part number of the Omnimounts? Was it 20.0ST-MP? You did get the type with the mounting plate on the speaker side and used both of the threaded inserts, right?

Sorry, been out for a few days - daughter had the pukes.

Anyway, I'm at the office so I don't have the part number right now. However, I attached a bracket to the speaker using the two threaded inserts and screws that came with the Omnimount. The bracket that attaches to the wall requires a pre-drilled hole, as the screws are nice and thick so once they're in the stud they aren't going anywhere. The real trick was clamping down the wall bracket onto the rubber ball attached to the bracket on the speaker, all while trying to maintain my balance and not drop the speaker.

The clamp that tightens on the rubber ball has little grooves, or teeth, so it really grabs snugly.

Nice looking space & your wife lets you hang spks..cool.

Yeah, she's the best.

I was advised to get RB-61's for the rears, but I love the 52's so much that I'll probably get two more.

Google 'THX speaker placement'- THX advises monopole directional speakers for the rear surrounds. Really.

A: How one places the speakers depends on a couple of things. Our prime recommendation for consumers using components with THX Ultra2 Certification and looking for a single speaker arrangement for cinema and music is the following: two dipole speakers to the side and two direct radiators in the back touching side by side with the ASA circuit engaged at a distance less than one foot. (Figure 2). The ASA circuit takes the single back channel signal and using the two speakers makes it sound like one timbrally correct wall-to-wall sound. In THX cinema mode, the balance is as recorded. In THX Music mode, the sound is biased toward the back to mimic the ITU recommendations for 5.1 speaker placement in music recording situations.

Yeah, I've read that, too, Colter. I'll likely go with the RB-61's, but the 52's look so sweet up on the wall, and my amateur ear probably would not hear much of a difference.

Where can I get those "aiming pods" for my RS-7s? Generally, how much do they cost?

The brackets were $39.99 a piece at Ultimate Electronics. They are very well made. You might check to see if the RS-7 has the same threaded inserts on the back as the 52's. Just run a search on the net and they'll be available at many places.