subwoofer makes exploding sound

seventeenmonkeys

i seem to have a problem with my subwoofer. at different times when i'm watching a movie. it will make some kind of an exploding sound, really sharp almost like an electric shock. i know it is not a random occurence be cause the other day i was watching "unbreakable" and in the scene where bruce willis is standing in the middle of a train station or something and he reeaches out to feel the people passing him at one point this woman passes right next to him and he gets a flash into her life. at that point there is a suden increase in the subwoofer output and i get that exploding sound. when i go back to replay the scene it happens again.

my subwoofer is not very powerful (i saw 50W somewhere in the back but i'm not sure if that's min or max) and maybe that is the problem. i mean it can't handle outputting that much base. but this to me makes no sence since it's an active subwoofer why would it try to amplify the signal at a level it can't output?

right now i connected the subwoofer using a y cable and a shielded audio cable. i was wondering maybe if i got one of those special subwoofer cables maybe that would fix the problem. maybe the regular audio cable has trouble transnitting signals at that low frequecies. although that seems like a fetch to me.

i would appreciate if any of you might have any idea on how i could fix this problem

thanks

sounds to me like it happens just the instant before the compression system kicks in to prevent the sub and amp from frying...

i know what you could do: get a better sub. trust me, save up and get a better one, it will be the best sound-related thing you'll ever do!

I have the ksw 10 and it does that w/ large speaker enabled. I am thinking its my pos jvc receiver, I will find out more when I get the Yamaha...

Blue skies,

Stu

------------------

Dual PIII 733 mhz, 128 RDRAM, Elsa GeFORCE 2 Ultra, 40 GHD, 12x CDRW, DVD, Philips AE, Klipsch 4.1

well, i went back to my dealer today and he suggested i should get a subwoofer cable, instead of the using a Y-cable along with a normal rca cable that i'm using right now. it seems the logical thing to do now. i actually emailed yamaha (my sub is a yamaha) and the only thing they told me was to bring the sub back for testing.

the sub is the last thing i want to upgrade for now. i'm plannig on changing all five speakers soon, and the budget is preparing for that right now.

anyways thanks for the advice.

50W Yamaha sub! Brrrr no wonder you have exploding sounds,with a Velo HGS18 you would hear real explosions. Wink.gif

You may be overdriving your small sub,the sub may be peaking(driver)or the amp may clip.Seb has the right idea get a better sub...like a Sunfire,SVS,Velodyne or Krell(forget this one ok Smile.gif )

TheEAR(s) Now theears

like ears says, sounds like driver bottoming out to me.

usually the result of trying to get more output from sub than it is capable. what are your sub & receiver sub output settings? also have to agree w/ ears on the

hgs-18. Biggrin.gif have my hgs-18 output control on 3.5

& have to dial down the sub output on the pre/pro to to

-3db just to keep it within 5db over the other speakers' levels.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa,

I just recalibrated my system using the VE disk and calibrating all speakers to 75db. Here are my settings:

FL__Chorus II.. -12

C___KLF-C7..... -9

FR__Chorus II.. -12

SR__Chorus I... -10

SBR_RS-3....... -1

SBL_RS-3....... -1

SL__Chorus I... -9

SW_SVS_20-39.. -7

When I had the Chorus I's as mains they were set to -12 as well. I'm guessing because of the 30' run of wire and the use of 16ga (pre-wired by previous owner), they lose a little efficiency. They still sound great however. I guess if I wanted an extra 5db, I could dial it down to -2 but I'll tell you, it's already pretty loud. I was playing YES's Live at the House of Blues at about 100db and it was generating more than enough bass for me. Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 12-11-2001 at 09:01 AM

mike, just curious, about where do u have the volume dial to get 100db from that yes? i calibrate mine w/ the pre/pro using 85db level & 90db for sub. so all my levels are fronts +1-1.5db, ctr-+5db, rear +.5-1db, rear ctr +3, & sub -3db.

i have the avia disk but i like the functionality of the pre tones better. & that way the dvdp is louder Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa,

Based on what I had read on HomeTheaterForum, the Avia (85db) and VE (75db) DVD's are calibrated so that if you have your volume set at 0, there should be 105db of volume when playing back your DVD's. IOW, they are calibrated at 20db and 30db respectively, below reference volume (105db). I calibrate with my Denon volume set to 0 as I calibrate each speaker.

I could have based all my settings off my center channel (-9) by changing it to 0. I would then have to change my mains from -12 to -3 and adjust all the others accordingly. I decided to do it this way so that I basically know where reference volume is, which is 0 (105db). That still allows me 18 more clicks north of that for more volume. BTW, I have never had it higher than +8 and it rattles the walls from there. Biggrin.gif

While listening to the YES dvd, I monitored the SPL meter when the volume was set at 0 and it was registering between 100 and 108db... so it's pretty ballpark. If you think I'm doing something wrong, please let me know because this is all pretty new to me and I'm not real sure what I'm doing... Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 12-11-2001 at 02:35 PM

mike, looks fine. i was just curious on how my output compared. main thing is the sound from all speakers are balanced. my sub should be at 85db too but i like a lil more sub w/ my lowpass cross set at 40hz w/ a 12db/octave slope. besides the needle bounces quite a bit between like 87 to 92db (& yes it is set slow, c-weighted Smile.gif). i still get about 110db at the 0 volume level w/ my dvdp. less w/ the digital cable box.

75db is the thx ref level & my B&K puts out a tone unadjustable by the volume control. & it's attached to seperate amps. so I use 85db as the "boa ref level". Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 12-11-2001 at 03:53 PM