Tube CD players?

ajcllc

I have owned over 50 cd players in the past few years, the best soincs IMHO absolutely come with a tube stage.

If you can keep track of whether player #44 was better than player #21, and in what particulars, you've got one superhuman memory. I can't usually remember what I went downstairs to get, until I go back upstairs again.

If in fact $1,500 is the dollar line that goes from Wall-Mart zero to a very nice tube CDP, smilin would know. The boy has owned CD players priced above what many of us paid for our last cars. I tend to think that he remembers the really great ones.

tc

.............I can't usually remember what I went downstairs to get, until I go back upstairs again............. However, I can relate to that as well. What was this thread ...............Oh yes, I remember now.........

I owned the Shanling SACD-2, GREAT looking machine, but, too many op amps, and tube buffer, not tube stage. A good at 1k, used. Does NOT read all discs well, but is drop dead gorgeous. Any more than that, you can get much better. The only player, I fought with my daughter over gettig rid of. She loved the looks too.

BTW, I remember MOST of what I LIKED.....

Best inexpensive used player IMHO Xindak SCD-2, copper lined chasis, 6dj8 tubes. Redbook, and SACD[:D]

smilin you have a PM.

Jay

Jay,

Look for a modwright sony 999es, with all mods, including superclock, and jena labs umbilical. I have seen them go for as little as 1350, and as much as 1750....when you feel like upgrading, get dan's latest tube power supply for about 500. This player will givh you the most bang the buck, and best sonics too. Next level would be substantially more $$$. Next best would be Exemplar 2910, which I have seen for under 1500, possible to find exemplar 3910, around 1500 too. I just feel the Modwright is the most Analog sounding of the bunch, and will DEFINATELY sound better with horns, than the other's/[H]Good luck in your journey[:P]