Digital vs analog External Inputs?

Mike Lindsey

I have a Denon 4800 and a Panasonic RP91 DVD player (192khz/24 bit). The DVD player is progressive scan and can play back DVD-Audio. Just recently, I started playing some of my 5.1 DD music DVD's (James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater, YES Live at the House of Blues and Fleetwood Mac's The Dance). I have always played these thru the Digital cable from the DVD Player, and the Denon set to Auto. Just for the heck of it, I decided to switch to the External Inputs (6 RCA cables for 5.1 from the Panasonic OUT to the Denon IN) and OH MY GOD, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Smile.gif One of the reasons I have never tried this is I thought the DAC's in the Denon were superior to the Panasonic's. Am I wrong here?

Using the External Inputs, there is so much more separation between the instruments as well as it being so much more dynamic. I am also hearing much more sound coming from the surrounds than I am from the digital cable. Do I have something set wrong for this to happen or is this how I am supposed to be playing them? I just thought the External Inputs were for the DVD-Audio discs only. I know Myram has this exact combination and wonder if he is experiencing the same thing as I. The one area where the digital cable may have an advantage is the bass. It seems there is a lot more bass while in DD 5.1 versus the analog inputs. Can someone also explain this? The 5.1 DD version seems a little more muddied where the analog version is more balanced. If anybody has any input on this I would greatly appreciate it...

Thanks,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 12-07-2001 at 03:57 PM

mike, are those dvd-audio disks? if not u may want to try some of those too.

analog bypasses your denon's bass mgmt so that may be why the dif there - no bass mgmt. some of the newer dvd-audio dvdp are putting in bass mgmt & there are now some external boxes for that like that icbm from outlaw.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 12-07-2001 at 04:52 PM

Mike -

I will take a stab at this but it may not be exact because I am not that familiar with your reciever.

First due to copyright restrictions DVD-A players will not output the full dynamic range on DVD-A software on the digital output. This is why you need to use the analog outputs for proper DVD-A.

Second I bet that the Denon only has 96/24 DAC's so in theory the 192/24 DAC's in your RP91 should produce better sound even on normal DVD's using the analog outputs.

Third most recievers do not perform any processing or bass management on the analog inputs. This could explain why the music is less muddy and the bass is different. In other words your subwoofer may not be getting all the signals that you are used to under the digital 5.1.

Again these are general statements and may not apply to your reciever.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Thanks, guys! These are plain ole DD 5.1 DVD's. I only have one DVD-A disk (Fleetwood Mac Rumors), and have always played that via the External Inputs, and of course, it sounds great. I appreciate the explanations and maybe I should always play the Music DVD's in this format, as it sounds so much better to me. boa, I will take a look at the ICBM and see if that's what I need...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

I know I've suggested this disc in other DVD-Audio threads, but it's sooooo darn good that I've got to toot it's horn again (pun intended!). I'm not even a big band fan, but the Big Phat Band's DVD-A is simply great fun! It's a band with a blues/latin/jazz twist. Very nicely done and a must have, in my opinion.

Off topic even farther, I still have *never* needed to have my projector on in order to control my player and listen to DVD-A discs. I just got Sting's (what is it, 10 Summoner Place or something like that?) - I popped it into the tray, hit play and there you go. The track shows on the display and the unit functions just like a CD player. Is it just the new players that allow this? I see lots of complaints about having to use the TV to listen to music. Maybe things have improved.

Enjoy,

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

I don't have any explanations, but along with this topic I have another question on analog vs. digital inputs on the pre/pro. With just two channel inputs such as a CD player, TV, other various video sources, does it bypass the bass management of the receiver? I know the 6 channel analog inputs do, but how about all other analog inputs? If not, then is the signal converted to digital then back to analog? Thanks for any info.

J, i believe the analog inputs go thru AD convertors to the dsp then to the dacs. iow they do not bypass the bass mgmt. though this is the standard HT pre/pro or receiver scheme & may vary by unit.

i use analog for the analog channels from the cable tv & my B&K definitely does prologic decoding, bass mgmt, etc. here.

------------------

My Home Systems Page